Samsung's new 21nm Toggle TLC Flash based Series 840 SSDs
Subject: Storage | November 20, 2012 - 03:48 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: Samsung, 840, tlc
As part of their review of the Samsung 840 250GB SSD, The Tech Report covers the specifics of the TLC flash memory which is used in the 840 series as opposed to the MLC we saw in the 830 series. As well they show off some of the capabilities of the control software, which Samsung has dubbed the SSD Magician utility. Of course from there the benchmarking begins which showed performance continually below the similarly priced 830 series which hurts the new SSDs on the price to performance chart. Overall they are hard pressed to recommend the drive over the previous models, not only because of the performance but also the shortened lifespan of TLC flash. As that flash technology matures we may see those concerns fade, as Allyn pointed out in his review.
"Samsung's 840 Series SSD combines a next-gen fabrication process with an extra bit per cell to lower the cost per gigabyte. We take a closer look at the implications and see how the drive stacks up against the competition."
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- OCZ Agility 4 256GB SSD Review @ Neoseeker
- Intel 330 Series 120 GB Solid State Drive Review @ Hardware Secrets
- SanDisk Extreme 480GB SSD @ Tweaktown
- OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD VTX3-25SAT3-240G Review @ PCSTATS
- Silicon Power Slim S70 240GB SSD @ Tweaktown
- Lexar JumpDrive S73 32 GB USB 3.0 @ techPowerUp
- Lexar JumpDrive 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review @ PCSTATS
- Silicon Power Firma F80 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Review @ NikKTech
- Vantec NST-400MX-S3R NexStar MX Enclosure Review @ Pro-Clockers
- Super Talent USB3 Express RC8 100GB Flash Drive @ SSD Review
- ADATA DashDrive Elite 500GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive @ Kitguru
- Patriot Memory Gauntlet 320 Wireless 2.5 Hard disk Enclosure @ Funky Kit
- WD My Passport Edge 500GB Portable Hard Drive Review @ Legit Reviews
Get notified when we go live!