OCZ Octane 512GB SSD Sneak Peek - Indilinx Has Returned

Subject: Storage | November 22, 2011 - 01:00 PM |
Tagged: ssd, ocz, Octane

A few months back, OCZ acquired Indilinx. Ever since, we've been wondering if the next generation Indilinx offering could stand up to the competition, who has made leaps and bounds since the first generation SSD controllers were released.

It appears that wait is over, well mostly at least. While OCZ's new Octane series does not officially launch until tomorrow, we've been authorized to give our readers a sneak peek:

From our peek inside we were able to derive that OCZ is using IMFT Synchronous flash memory - the same present in OCZ's Vertex line. There's also a lot of it - our sample is the first 512GB 2.5" SSD being tested in our labs.

...and for those curious on performance, I've also been allowed to sneak a bench out to you. If you're only able to speak about an SSD with a single benchmark, ATTO is probably the way to go:

Pushing 350 MB/sec writes and 540 MB/sec reads, with very good IOPS performance at 4K (roughly 45k write IOPS).

This new offering from Indilinx/OCZ is looking very good so far. More to follow once the OCZ Octane officially launches tomorrow!

Note: It appears OCZ's Octane product page is live. Hit the link below to check it out.

November 22, 2011 | 11:58 AM - Posted by Abhinna (not verified)

Hey.......ma body iz burnin.......cool it..,...i want dat

November 22, 2011 | 12:26 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

^ this.

November 22, 2011 | 12:10 PM - Posted by Josh Walrath

Nice to see the next gen Indilinx device in the wild! A little bit bummed about writes, but reads are certainly good! A nice choice difference between this, Sandforce, Marvell, and Samsung SATA 6G controllers.

November 22, 2011 | 12:24 PM - Posted by Joe S (not verified)

Im more worried about reliability at this point. OCZ has really let me down with the last three drives I've purchased. BSODs and kernel panics out the wazoo. A gazillion MB/sec isnt doing me any good if I'm restarting twice a day.

November 22, 2011 | 01:14 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Funny, I have had absolutely no problems with any OCZ devices. Maybe you need to upgrade your firmware.

November 22, 2011 | 01:30 PM - Posted by pdjblum

I recently had a terrible experience trying to RMA a defective Vertex. The drive was relatively old, but hardly written to as it was used only for the OS. It started to blue screen, then it would need win 7 repairs, and then it became unusable. It took two weeks to get an RMA authorization, and another two weeks, at least, to get a replacement. I had to make a number of calls to OCZ support in order to get all this done. In the mean time, of course, I was forced to buy another SSD, an intel 320, which I consider much more reliable based on my experience with other intel SSD's. I am really interested in this drive, but I am too sickened over this recent experience to buy anything from OCZ.