I'm a Survivor!
Subject: Storage | June 6, 2007 - 02:43 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
The Tech Report has been having fun with Corsair's Survivor GT USB drive. Packaged in an aluminium tube with rubberized ends, it looks like a piece of camping equipment, but inside that shell is an 8GB thumb drive. They dunked it in water, strapped it to the bottom of a mountain bike, and in a last desperate move to inflict some sort of damage, they ran over it with a car. The Survivor now has a couple of small scratches, but they couldn't impress it at all.
"Thumb drives are wildly popular, but as they approach ubiquity, few are interesting to talk about. That's not the case
for Corsair's Flash Survivor GT, though. This USB drive is wrapped in aircraft-grade aluminum and sealed to work at
depths up to 200m. But can it survive a series of torture tests that includes a washing machine, dish washer, high
diving platform, and the crushing weight of a car? Read on to find out."
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- Brilliant eCombo eSATA/USB2.0 External Enclosure (USB vs SATA) @ CPU3D
- Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked @
- Thecus N5200 NAS Server
Review @ Virtual-Hideout
- How hard drives work @ Icrontic
- Western Digital Raptor X 150GB Hard Drive
- Silverstone MS04
External 3.5" HDD Enclosure Review @ Virtual-Hideout
- Seagate 160 GB FreeAgent Go Review
- OCZ VBoost: Vista ReadyBoost USB Flash Drive @
- A.C. Ryan AluBox TFX HDD Enclosure @
- Maxtor OneTouch III Mini Edition
160GB @ PDX Reviews
- Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo Edition
1.5TB @ PDX Reviews