Intel Confirms Haswell-E, 8-core Extreme Edition with DDR4 Memory

Subject: Processors | March 19, 2014 - 05:00 PM |
Tagged: X99, Intel, Haswell-E, gdc 14, GDC, ddr4

While talking with press at GDC in San Francisco today, Intel is pulling out all the stops to assure enthusiasts and gamers that they haven't been forgotten!  Since the initial release of the first Extreme Edition processor in 2003 (Pentium 4), Intel has moved from 1.7 million transistors to over 1.8 BILLION (Ivy Bride-E). Today Intel officially confirms that Haswell-E is coming!

Details are light, but we know now that this latest incarnation of the Extreme Edition processor will be an 8-core design, running on a new Intel X99 chipset and will be the first to support DDR4 memory technology.  I think most of us are going to be very curious about the changes, both in pricing and performance, that the new memory technology will bring to the table for enthusiast and workstation users.

Timing is only listed as the second half of 2014, so we are going to be (impatiently) waiting along with you for more details.

Though based only on leaks that we found last week, the X99 chipset and Haswell-E will continue to have 40 lanes of PCI Express but increases the amount of SATA 6G ports from two to ten (!!) and USB 3.0 ports to six.

March 19, 2014 | 05:10 PM - Posted by Mnemonicman

Would be a nice upgrade if coming from a Nehalem based setup. Not sure yet how much of a jump one would see going from a SB-E or IVB-E system.

March 19, 2014 | 08:46 PM - Posted by Michael_2304583 (not verified)

The first Pentium 4 EE had 169 million transistors, which is only a factor 10.

If anything, it's actually surprising the *other* way - how well the extra transistors have been spent. You'd expect diminishing returns, even versus a bad architecture like P4, but Ivy Bridge-E is proportionally faster - approximately 40x according to cpubenchmark.net

March 19, 2014 | 09:16 PM - Posted by Midagedgamerguy (aka dudz_fryd) (not verified)

Might finally get me to move off my old I7/940 X58. Still doing ok with it though. Only the vid cards have ever held me back especiaally at 19x12.

March 20, 2014 | 04:48 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm on the same chipset/cpu, i was this close to get the 4770k, ill wait until november now, save up a bit more cash, hopefully the new 800 series will debut from nvidia aswell

March 20, 2014 | 05:47 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm really looking forward to 8 cores! But Devil's Canyon has me really stoked as far as the TIM is concerned. Only time will tell, of course, but I'll keep my trusty vise, wood and hammer handy just in case.

March 20, 2014 | 08:36 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hope you're ready to spend $1,000 for that Octa-Core, $500 for DDR4 and another $500 for the mobo.

March 20, 2014 | 03:34 PM - Posted by Crazycanukk

#1) No one is going into the purchase expecting it to be cheap.

#2) a build like this is worth the cash if you need the horse power as well if you plan on keeping this build over many years. I'll spend the $1500-1800 bucks for the upgrade and will cruise with the processor and build for 6-7 years.

My friends thought i was nuts for buying an I7 970 6 core..I'm still using that proc and its still more then viable and will re-purpose that machine to my office since that old dual core is getting old and tired now. I did that build back in 2010 ..most of the same people that said i spent too much then have now spent far more upgrading twice since.

March 20, 2014 | 11:29 AM - Posted by YTech

I'm still saving! This expensive release will surely reduce the cost of prior components (CPU, RAM, Mobo, etc.). When I get around to build a new system, I'll probably be able to afford the prior high-end versions if I can't afford this 8-Core :)

I am curious about it's performance for a Broadcast + Gaming machine (PCper please mention your opinions/results during future video podcast). For work horse stations such as for designs, video edit, rendering, etc. I'm sure it'll do great. It does resemble those multi-CPU workstations that I read about.

Very interesting! I'm looking forward to hear more great news! *drools*

My girlfriend believes that I'm a cheater who plans to one day marry PCper! Maybe if PCper would send her a gift, she'll think otherwise :D

March 20, 2014 | 11:37 AM - Posted by Matt (not verified)

Really looking forward to DDR4!

March 23, 2014 | 07:45 PM - Posted by Eddie (not verified)

if the $500 part has 8 cores as well i will care more about this release. The fact that the want DDR4 does kind of kill it for me though because of the outrageous price it will be at release.

March 24, 2014 | 10:38 PM - Posted by im late (not verified)

Can't wait for the 8 core.

However, very disappointed that the X99 will only have 40 PCIE lanes. :(

72 lanes would be ideal.

4 x 16x for four GPUs.
8 left for other cards.

That is what an "enthusiast" chipset should support.