Benchmarking Bulldozer and taking the GPU out of the picture
Subject: Processors | October 17, 2011 - 09:06 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: bulldozer, fx-8150, crossfire, gaming
One of the questions we have been asking about Bulldozer is how much it effects game play performance. We know that for non-multithreaded applications th FX-8150 falls behind the top SandyBridge processors and barely breaks even on heavily multithreaded apps. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will lag behind SandyBridge in gaming as many games do not utilize the CPU enough to make a huge difference, though that premise needs to be proved. Enter Tweaktown who have taken the top Bulldozer and SandyBridge CPUs along with three Sapphire HD 6970 video cards, and placed them in a Maximus IV Extreme-Z and Crosshair V Formula motherboard respectively. With that much graphical power, it is possible to see the performance difference that the CPU and the motherboard chipset have on performance. Read on to see how Bulldozer fared.
"We've already provided a fair bit of coverage on the new FX-8150 CPU from AMD and it hasn't all been favorable for the team over at AMD. If you haven't looked yet, I highly recommend you check out our other pieces that cover the VGA testing side of things and my editorial Shi**y Marketing Killed the Bulldozer Star which has really gained traction over the last few days.
Today we test the video card side of things a bit more and see what goes on when we start to make use of CrossFireX on the 990FX platform. The 990FX chipset shows some good potential and it's going to be interesting to see what happens when we start to make use of all those PCIe lanes that are on offer."
Here are some more Processor articles from around the web:
- Bulldozer has an evolutionary uncore @ SemiAccurate
- AMD FX-8150 vs. Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K CPU Review @ Hardware Secrets
- KitGuru Lite examines AMD’s Bulldozer
- AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer 2600MHz DDR RAM Overclocking @ Tweaktown
- Power Consumption: FX 8150 v i5 2500k v i7 2600k @ kitguru
- Bulldozer Has Arrived: AMD FX-8150 @ X-bit Labs
- Desktop CPU Comparison Guide @ TechARP
- Everything You Need to Know About the HyperTransport Bus @ Hardware Secrets
- Intel Core i7 2630QM @ Phoronix