One order of 990FX, hold the Zambezi
Subject: Motherboards | June 2, 2011 - 02:09 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: 990fx, MSI 990FXA-GD80, msi
The MSI 990FXA-GD80 is, as we have come to find out, mostly a rebadged 890FX chipset with Socket AM3+ to allow for Bulldozer support when they eventually hit the market. In and of its self, the term rebadged carries a fair amount of negative connotations; there is a plus side to this as well, as you can be guaranteed the technology behind it is mature and you shouldn't end up cutting yourself on the leading edge of technology. [H]ard|OCP found the exception that proved the rule in this board, as the BIOS seemed to give them no end of troubles. Read on to see exactly what hurdles they encountered and how they overcame them.
You can see Josh contrast the MSI 990FXA-GD80 with the Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX in his review as well.
"AMD’s new 990FX chipset supports the upcoming Q3 Bulldozer release and now have motherboard manufacturers clamoring to put out new product designed for the Zambezi desktop processors. MSI is no exception and as a result it is introducing its 990FXA-GD80. Sans Zambezi."
Here are some more Motherboard articles from around the web:
- ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX @ OC3D
- ASUS Crosshair-V Formula 990FX Motherboard @ Benchmark Reviews
- ASUS Crosshair V Formula @ TweakTown
- Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ Motherboard Review @ eTeknix
- MSI 990FXA-GD80 Motherboard Review @ Legit Reviews
- Fully-Fledged LGA1155 Platform: Intel Z68 Express Chipset @ X-bit Labs
- Intel Z68 Express Chipset @ iXBT Labs
- Gigabyte G1.Assassin Gaming @ Real World Labs
- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ Motherboard Review @ Hardware Canucks
- MSI Z68A-GD80 Intel Motherboard @ Benchmark Reviews
- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 @ Legion Hardware
Get notified when we go live!