MSI Shows X99S SLI Plus Motherboard on Twitter

Subject: Motherboards | August 5, 2014 - 02:38 PM |
Tagged: msi, Intel, X99, x99s sli plus

Well, this just happened.

So there you have it, the X99 chipset is a thing, the MSI X99S SLI Plus is a thing, and it looks damned sexy.

I lightened up the photo some to show off more of the features as the black coloring on everything made it all hard to see. Revealed are a total of 8 DIMM slots (DDR4 we assume), four PCI Express x16 slots (though we don't know how many lanes each is connected to), 8 SATA ports, 1 SATA Express and some more goodies. What do you guys think? Stoked for the pending Haswell-E / X99 release?

Source: Twitter
August 5, 2014 | 02:50 PM - Posted by Ophelos

I don't wanna come off sounding like a jerk or anything. But this is almost a week old..

August 5, 2014 | 03:41 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Well it's new to me. And chances are pretty good, I would even say DAMN GOOD, that many many others haven't seen it either.

August 5, 2014 | 04:00 PM - Posted by Jesso2k (not verified)

You can count me as seen it. BUT, what I can't find anywhere are benchmarks of 3/4 way sli motherboards on the 1150 socket that use a plx chip. All reviews usually have a gaming portion that only use 1 card. I'd like to see if making 32 lanes out of 16 really just works or what the negative effects are vs a x79 board with the native support for 40 lanes.

Buying a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING GT for $220 sounds like a much more desirable upgrade path if I ever wanted another card (I'm keeping 4k under control with 2 gpus, for now). Otherwise I'd have to scrap the cpu and ram along with the mobo with x99 or keep the ram and go x79.

August 5, 2014 | 04:44 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Ryan, do you not look at any other tech sites? I'm asking because just about all the other ones had this a week ago. I understand that not everyone knew about it though.

August 5, 2014 | 07:32 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Call it a hunch, but I think running your own tech site limits a lot of your free time.

August 5, 2014 | 10:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This site is a business. What businessperson doesn't pay any attention to the competition? I'm not calling him lazy at all, he does excellent reviews/analysis.

August 6, 2014 | 04:32 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

So you're not calling him lazy (how gracious of you), but are calling him a bad businessman for not posting about one news article in a sea of millions? I have a rotation of about 10 tech websites that I frequent per day and only one posted about this board. Each site catches a small fraction of the tech news - they don't all need the same content.

August 6, 2014 | 06:19 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

If they don't all need the same content, then why post this article at all? Lol. And stop it, I never called him a bad businessman, I was explaining why "running your own tech site limits a lot of your free time" does not address the question since monitoring other sites is a part of work i.e. business, not free time. This slippage stood out because it was uncharacteristic. Maybe they're writing articles for juicy stuff that is about to be announced??? The world won't end just because this one story was late. But it was late.

August 6, 2014 | 08:47 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Actually, to be quite blunt, I don't really read other tech sites all that often. I depend on my Twitter feed and our other editors to point me to things that stand out and that are worthe consuming. If I read all the other tech sites all of the time, I would have no ability to create content for PC Perspective or to actually run the business here.

Sorry you seem offended that this is "late" but I just don't see it that way. It was new to me, new the thousands of people that came through our home page, so I consider it a win.

August 6, 2014 | 12:07 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This was news to me as i only go to a few tech sites, and this is the best for in depth technical coverage and passion for it. I'm glad it was on here. Great Job PCPer!

August 6, 2014 | 12:13 PM - Posted by Ophelos

Ryan since you don't like reading another techsites which is cool.

I like checking out alot of different techsites to get different views on new tech etc. Just because u never know who's getting paid off by companies.

Your kinda missing out on things like the new MSI X99S gaming 9 AC motherboard.

here's a link to it: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-teases-x99s-gaming-9-ac-motherboard...

August 7, 2014 | 06:53 PM - Posted by blazer1011

well put ryan :) as i heard about it in 312

August 6, 2014 | 12:38 PM - Posted by John H (not verified)

I just want to say thanks to Ryan for posting this article - I had not seen this elsewhere as after many years of reading dozens of sites every day, I've reduced to just a few tech sites of which PCPer is definitely the top site..

August 6, 2014 | 12:46 PM - Posted by Ophelos

John, I've done the same over the years of reading many different techsites. I went from like around 15 or so down to maybe 5 now. Out of those 5 I only read 2 on daily bases, an PCper is one of them.

August 5, 2014 | 03:13 PM - Posted by Dr_b_ (not verified)

Anyone know if DDR4 is going to support higher memory densities than what we have with DDR3 on regular Haswell boards? 16GB DIMM support would be great. Certainly prices are going to be premium with this platform as well, might make more sense to wait for the Haswell-E refresh in Q3 or Q4 of 2015 for things to settle down, prices to drop, and the bugs in the bios and software support to ramp up. If the platform is faster than regular Haswell and it isn't too much more expensive and when the reviews are in, heat is under control, etc. take the plunge.

August 6, 2014 | 09:37 AM - Posted by YTech

On paper, DDR4 memory densities in general are pretty high. For server usage, it's what we need. For general consumers, 1/4 of it's limits will be plenty. Realistic values are still to be seen as it's the stable versions that you want.

Don't worry, 16GB DIMM won't be the smallest as I am sure I saw 64GB DIMM at some point somewhere, but that wasn't the limited range on paper.

Sadly, the cost of the gaming version will hurt the small budget crowd.

I am excited for it like many others are. And hope PCper will have one of these rig to showoff on their podcast and share all it's goodies.

August 5, 2014 | 03:54 PM - Posted by Samuel Aldrich (not verified)

I am stoked for the new chipset and for this all black iteration. I love the blacked out look because it's clean and can compliment any color scheme easily.

The DDR4 and powerful Xeon rebranded Haswell-E will be a killer power combo.

Question for the forum: Would it be a dumb upgrade from 3770k? My cpu isn't that old but... I'm looking for a reason to get this puppy!

August 5, 2014 | 06:33 PM - Posted by H1tman_Actua1

#1 reason. 3770k doesn't have a soldered on HS and really sucks at OC.

All game these days especially X64 based are using up to 12cores now.

DO IT!

August 6, 2014 | 09:45 AM - Posted by YTech

Samuel Aldrich > 3770k is an i7 LGA1150 (Ivy) Chip. It depends what you use it for, your needs, and what other components you have.

Getting this right now, you're looking at a whole new system (not very cost effective). So, right now isn't the right time in my opinion.

If it would be my current system, I would keep the current and enjoy it until I have a good** budget for the Killer Power Combo.

August 5, 2014 | 06:30 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Power 8 and what have you

August 5, 2014 | 06:31 PM - Posted by Dave (not verified)

Wow I haven't seen this before!!

August 5, 2014 | 06:31 PM - Posted by H1tman_Actua1

DAMN! that's a good looking MB!!! Salute MSI!

August 5, 2014 | 06:41 PM - Posted by collie

Power 8! On a more serious note WOW, that is a sexy board.

August 5, 2014 | 08:41 PM - Posted by Fishbait

Eight DIMM slots is ridiculous. This reminds me of when I first built a dual cpu server, but with one cpu. I'm starting to think they cranked it up to Ludicrous Speed without putting on a seat belt...

Morry's going to have a field day with this one, that CMOS does not look optimally placed :D

August 5, 2014 | 08:51 PM - Posted by H1tman_Actua1

Let the stupidity rain!

August 5, 2014 | 09:35 PM - Posted by ScifiMan

thanks Ryan, cant wait to see how the new CPU performance is with the DDR4 memory. If all goes well, i think it maybe time to upgrade from my i7 920.

August 6, 2014 | 06:03 AM - Posted by collie

This board is for haswell-e, its gona be pricey, the processor is gona be pricey-er and the ddr4 is gona be sickly pricey. I'm hopeing ddr4 makes a big change, but I dont think it's too smart to buy now, unless you have all the moneys. Wait for the next gen core-I* to hit with the z107(I think that's what they are gona call it) motherboards.

August 6, 2014 | 07:56 AM - Posted by Anon (not verified)

Why not just let him upgrade because according to your advice he should just wait forever. Your statement applies to every new generation of hardware that is being released because something new is just around the corner. If that was the recommendation then what is the point of upgrading since something new and shiny is around the corner?

August 6, 2014 | 10:08 AM - Posted by YTech

Anon > I think collie is worried that ScifiMan might go out and start building this rig, but then ends up being disappointed because ScifiMan bought other cheap components to fit it's budget followed by great sales on components ScifiMan really wanted.

I'm excited about this too and might think about upgrading to it too. But if my budget doesn't work for it by the time I'm ready to build it, I might stick to an Z97 or Z87.

It will still be a nice upgrade for ScifiMan, if he would build it today (if we ignore all other missing information and proceed with assumptions)

August 6, 2014 | 07:39 AM - Posted by xseries

should I wait for the x99? or just build a z97 4970k?