Bulldozer, get out of the way! This review is supposed to be about the ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Subject: Motherboards | October 27, 2011 - 06:20 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: asus, Crosshair V Formula, FX 8150, 990fx, am3+
As sometimes happens when one sets out to write a review, at some point it turns out you aren't reviewing what you had originally intended to. Such happened at Legit Reviews when they tested the ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ board with an FX-8150 as well as an X6 1100T. The motherboard is very interesting; just hard to make out through the wreckage of a big yellow machine lying in front of it. If you can manage to make out the motherboard through the Phenom-enal holes punched in the 'dozer you can see three PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8), a PCIe 2.0 x16 in x4, a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot and even a legacy PCI slot. There are also four USB 3.0 ports and an equal number of USB 2.0 ports (one can be made into an ROG port) and a slew of others including a clear CMOS button for your cat or child to play with.
"This particular article, we went a little bit of a different route. We compared the ASUS Crosshair V Formula with the latest AMD FX-8150 'Bulldozer' processor, to itself with an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. We wanted to see if there was much of a difference in performance between the two core architectures on the AMD 990FX chipset. The article inadvertently felt more like a shoot out between the two processors, when the focus was meant to be on the ASUS Crosshair V Formula. The performance between the two systems was entirely too similar for my tastes. The AMD FX-8150 didn't run the circles around the Phenom II X6 1100T that I had hoped it would..."
Here are some more Motherboard articles from around the web:
- MSI 990FXA-GD80 AM3+ Motherboard @ Benchmark Reviews
- Foxconn A75M FM1 Motherboard Review @ Madshrimps
- Zotac A75-ITX WiFi Motherboard Review @ TechwareLabs
- ASUS E35M1-M Pro Review - Anyone For Fusion? @ AnandTech
- BIOS Option Of The Week - MPS Control Version For OS @ TechARP
- Mini-ITX Face-Off: Asrock Z68M-ITX-HT vs. Asrock A75M-ITX @ Techspot
- Zotac Z68 ITX WiFi Supreme @ Bjorn3D
- Zotac Z68-ITX WiFi: Mini-ITX Mainboard That Can Overclock LGA1155 Processors @ X-bit Labs
- MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) – One of the First Mainboards with PCI Express 3.0 Support @ X-bit Labs
- Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 @ OC3D
- Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5 Motherboard Review @ OCIA
- Gigabyte G1.Sniper2 Z68 Motherboard Review @ eTeknix
- Zotac Z68ITX-B-E WiFi Supreme Motherboard Review @Hi Tech Legion
- ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 Intel Motherboard @ TechwareLabs
Get notified when we go live!