An Assassin, just like his father, Gigabyte's new X79 motherboard
Subject: Motherboards | March 16, 2012 - 01:28 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: gigabyte, assassin 2, x79, lga2011
The Gigabyte Assassin 2 carries on with Gigabyte's militaristic theme with a heatsink shaped like a handgun but there are some new features over and above the bright green expansion slots. The board uses the E-ATX form factor and sports not only Bigfoot's KillerNIC onboard but also a WiFi card with two antenna, giving your next LGA2011 build a lot of networking power. LanOC's testing revealed that the storage controller on this board lagged behind some similar models and they had some audio issues as well, though it is possible a BIOS update could change that. They were also disappointed to be limited to 4 DIMMs maximum, as other high end X79 boards sport an extra pair of slots for a truly large memory pool.
"It seems almost like it was yesterday when I took a close look at Gigabytes Assassin, flagship motherboard on the X58 chipset. Here we are less than a year later with a new chipset and socket available. That means it’s time once again to take a look at Gigabyte’s flagship gaming motherboard, the Assassin 2 X79. With a lower price point, smaller form factor, and all of the features of the original we loved the Assassin 2 should be a great board. Of course we won’t know that for sure until we dig in a little farther, so let’s jump in!"
Here are some more Motherboard articles from around the web:
- ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 Motherboard @ Benchmark Reviews
- Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3 @ Kitguru
- MSI Big Bang XPower II @ Tweaktown
- ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Motherboard @ Hardware Secrets
- ASUS Rampage IV Gene @ Bjorn3D
- MSI Big Bang XPower II Motherboard Review @ Legit Reviews
- Asus P9X79 Motherboard Review @ Ninjalane
- Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H Z77 Motherboard Preview @ eTeknix
- GIGABYTE Z77 Motherboards: A Preview @ Bjorn3D
- ASUS Z77 LGA1155 Motherboards Preview @ Hardware Canucks
- ASUS Sabertooth Z77 preview @ Guru of 3D
- A Look at ASUS' Z77 Motherboard Features @ Techgage
- BIOS Option Of The Week - NX Technology @ TechARP
Get notified when we go live!