Samsung versus Qualcomm; don't judge a tablet by its cover
Subject: Mobile | September 13, 2012 - 07:16 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: tablet, Snapdragon S4 Pro, Samsung, qualcomm, ice cream sandwich, Exynos 4412
You are likely already somewhat familiar with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, running Ice Cream Sandwich on a 1.4GHz quad-core Exynos 4412. Externally it looks almost identical to the 10.1" engineering sample that Qualcomm pulled out in front of The Inquirer today but internally they are very different. Inside the Qualcomm tablet is the new 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro, running a hair faster than the Exynos and with a different architecture. That customized architecture showed up in the testing, the Qualcomm tablet benchmarked higher the Samsung, much higher than the 100MHz speed difference would imply. However not all was perfect with the usability of the tablet, though The Inquirer does point out this is a tablet still in development and the software is not quite ready for prime time.
"The INQUIRER took the chance to test Qualcomm's developer tablet Snapdragon processor against the Exynos quad-core chip used in Samsung's popular Galaxy Note 10.1.
On paper, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Qualcomm development tablet are quite similar. Both devices run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and have 10.1in touchscreens."
Here are some more Mobile articles from around the web:
- Traveling with an iPad: Impressions & Accessory Survival Guide @ Techspot
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G @ Tweaktown
- Amazon Kindle Fire HD (7", Wi-Fi) Review @ TechReviewSource
- Amazon Kindle Preview: Paperwhite, Fire (2012), and Fire HD 7" & 8.9" @ AnandTech
- Cooler Master NotePal ERGO 360 Laptop Cooler @ Pro-Clockers
- Sony VAIO S13 (SVS13112FXW) Review @ TechReviewSource
- Dell Inspiron 15R SE Review @ TechReviewSource
- MySN XMG P502 (Clevo P150EM) @ Kitguru
- HP EliteBook 8470p Review @ TechReviewSource
- HP Folio 13 Ultrabook Laptop @ Tweaktown
- Zalman ZM-NC3500 Plus Notebook Cooler Review @ eTeknix
- Cooler Master Wave Stand Review @ Ninjalane
- LG Optimus L7 and Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus review: different looks, same hardware @ Hardware.info
- Motorola Atrix HD Review: Fast, Sharp, Bargain @ AnandTech
- Alcatel One Touch 995: big smartphone, small price @ Hardware.info
- Samsung Galaxy Note @ Tweaktown
Get notified when we go live!