Samsung Launching 11-Inch and 13-Inch Chromebook 2s

Subject: Mobile | March 3, 2014 - 05:58 PM |
Tagged: Samsung, exynos 5, chromebook 2, Chromebook, chrome os, arm

Samsung is bringing a new Chromebook to market next month. Coming in 11-inch and 13-inch form factors the new Samsung Chromebook 2 offers updated hardware and more than eight hours of battery life.

The Chromebook 2 will be available in 11.6” and 13.3” models. The smaller variant will come in white or black while the larger SKU is only available in gray. The lids use a soft touch plastic that resembles stitched leather like that found on some Samsung smartphones. The 11.6” is 0.66-inches thick and weighs 2.43 pounds. The 13.3” model is 0.65-inches thick and weighs 3.09 pounds. The 11.6” Chromebook 2 has a 1366x768 display while the 13.3” Chromebook uses a 1920 x 1080 resolution display.

Internally, the Chromebook 2 is powered by an unspecified Exynos 5 Octa SoC at either 1.9GHz (11.6”) or 2.1GHz (13.3”), 4GB of DDR3L memory, and 16GB internal SSD storage. Internal radios include 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0. Samsung rates the battery life at 8 hours for the 11.6” Chromebook and 8.5 hours for the 13.3” Chromebook.

Beyond the wireless tech, I/O includes one USB 3.0 port, one USB 2.0 port, one HDMI, one headphone output, and one micro SD card slot. This port configuration is available on both Chromebook 2 sizes.

Samsung is launching its Chromebook 2 in April at $319.99 and $399.99 for the 11.6” and 13.3” respectively. This new Chromebook is coming to a competitive market that is increasingly packed with Bay Trail-powered Windows 8.1 notebooks (and tablets) that are getting cheaper and Android tablets that are getting more features and more powerful thanks to new ARM-based SoCs. I'm interested to see what platform users start gravitating towards, is the cloud-connected Chrome OS good enough when paired with good battery life and a physical keyboard?

Are you looking forward to Samsung's new Chromebook 2?

Source: Ars Technica
March 3, 2014 | 07:07 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Looking forward to the next iteration of Atom devices that run Windows actually.

March 3, 2014 | 09:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

An Atom / Celeron iteration with support for Windows, so you can dual boot would make this perfect for my commuting computer.

I currently use either a 2C4T or 1C2T Atom with 2Gb and W7, works great. But a nicer screen would help, a lot. Also an integrated video encoder for Netflix...

March 3, 2014 | 09:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

March 4, 2014 | 11:18 AM - Posted by klatch

I had the previous Samsung Chromebook and NFL.com always detected the laptop as a mobile device and gave the mobile site. There was nothing I could do about it as I tried everything I could find. Found out later that it was just an issue. I tried contacting NFL to raise the issue but never got anywhere. The old processor was so slow too that I sold it and got a Acer C720 and it has been a way better experience. Also, the Acer C720 has a full sized shift key on the left side whereas the Samsung didn't I absolutely hate laptops that have a half sized shift key on the left side.

March 5, 2014 | 07:50 PM - Posted by biohazard918

At $320 the 11 inch model is going to have a hard time competing with the acer C720 at $200 unless samsung has gone with a nice ips display I can't see any reason not to go with the c720. Yeah you only have 2gb of ram vs 4 with the samsung but you also have an intel haswell based processor instead of ARM so its easy to run a more powerful os like ubuntu on it and it has great battery life.