Asus has a Leather Fetish
Subject: Mobile | April 28, 2006 - 08:38 AM | Jonathan Hung
In our review of the Asus W5F laptop posted yesterday, I made a comment that the laptop market is hot. Maybe it's gotten too hot because Asus is launching a 11" Core Duo laptop that has a leather covering! The leather comes in two different colours: dark chocolate, and camel. There are reports of a hot-pink version as well but Asus has not officially mentioned it even though their product images show a pink version.
But knowing how I treat my own laptop, the last thing I need to worry about is the leather staining from my coffee or water. Plastic wipes easily, leather does not. Could be an interesting fashion laptop which I'm sure will sell well for a niche market.
"The S6F's wrist-rest and lid are both covered in genuine cowhide, tanned and coloured in either Camel or Dark Chocolate - light or dark brown, for the rest of us - and then hand-pressed onto the luxury laptop. Asus said its engineers have ensure the leather will age gracefully." The rest here.
- Sun Microsystems preparing to launch a 17" UltraSPARC mobile workstation. Coders rejoice!
- Dell to sell Linux laptops. Seems like Sun, Dell, and Apple are going head-to-head in the developer sphere.
- Tech Report compares 5 different laptop hard drives to find which is the best.
- Overclockers.com has someone watercooling their DELL XPS laptop.
- Of course, our review of the Asus W5F from yesterday in case you missed it. ;)