NVIDIA Crates the GeForce GTX 690

Subject: Graphics Cards | April 30, 2012 - 03:17 PM |
Tagged: nvidia, kepler, GTX 690, geforce

There has been a lot of excitement building about the GeForce GTX 690 dual-GPU graphics card, with the apex during CEO Jen-Hsun Huang's keynote that released all kinds of details this weekend.  We go our review sample of the new graphics beast this morning and needless to say NVIDIA felt the need to give this $999 video card a special ride.

With the imprint of "Caution: Weapons Grade Gaming Power" on the outside of the crate, NVIDIA obviously wanted to give us a chance to use the pry bar sent last week.  And use it we did.

There isn't much more we can say about the card itself but I can tell you that the fit and finish of the design is just impressive to see in person.

I have included quite a few more photos of the unboxing and the card itself if you continue to the full post right here!!

April 30, 2012 | 03:39 PM - Posted by Kusanagi (not verified)

holy.. F***!

April 30, 2012 | 05:01 PM - Posted by Nilbog

For 1,000$ it better be in a crate and packaged with extra care.
I wonder what the delivery guy was thinking when he pulled that out of the truck.
Well... I'm jealous, that is a gorgeous card, the lights are a nice touch too. Although I don't understand the windows, what are you supposed to see?
Can you test temperatures with and without the windows? : )

Also, what is that Intel water cooler? I didn't know they made one.

April 30, 2012 | 07:20 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Doesn't look like you can remove the windows very easily...

Sorry to say, if you buy one, I don't think it will be coming in a crate. Heh.

The Intel cooler is the one they launched with the X79/Sandy Bridge-E platform: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Sandy-Bridge-E-Review-Core...

April 30, 2012 | 07:46 PM - Posted by Mr King

I don't think you'd want to remove the windows. It looks like it creates a sealed chamber so the heat exhausts out the back of the card and out of your case instead of inside. I'd also think that taking off the windows would impact the air flow through the card killing the cooling performance. But that's just from light observation.

April 30, 2012 | 09:31 PM - Posted by JSL

For that 1k price tag, I would have expected to see a back plate added to it (to help prevent warping of the pcb).

The windows are a pointless 'feature'... look, you can see the dust build-up!

Also, I wonder if the core's are underclocked..

April 30, 2012 | 09:45 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

From our previous, linked above, story:

"The base clock speed of these parts is slightly lower at 915 MHz but the "typical" Boost clock is set as high as 1019 MHz..."

April 30, 2012 | 05:11 PM - Posted by EH100501AC (not verified)

I can has this?

April 30, 2012 | 11:02 PM - Posted by mtrush (not verified)

no no no I can haz

April 30, 2012 | 08:19 PM - Posted by Starkie24

Looks soo puuurty!! If only i had the money to buy one :(
I Just had a great idea. You could always give away one :P
Are you allowed to divulge what the minimum reccommended PSU wattage would be?

April 30, 2012 | 09:44 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

I think it is 650 watts.

April 30, 2012 | 10:26 PM - Posted by Chaitanya Shukla (not verified)

I see some cool mods that can be done one this card's stock cooler, like placing some LED under the window panel. Apart from that it is the best looking video card I have seen in a very long time.

May 1, 2012 | 08:45 AM - Posted by cyow

WOW

thanks Ryan for the great shot of it about as close as I ever get to one.

what more can I say other then I want but will never have that type of cash on hand to buy it.

but still I want and WOW

May 1, 2012 | 04:15 PM - Posted by AParsh335i (not verified)

I'm a little confused why people are leaving comments referring to $999.99 being "expensive." I understand $1000 is a lot of money in general, but GTX 680s are regularly selling for $599.99 right now ($100 over MSRP), and this has 2 of them. $999.99 at current market prices is a steal.

May 1, 2012 | 10:41 PM - Posted by Angryfuture (not verified)

....Reminds of when the 8800GTX was released and the price people were paying for it....

May 2, 2012 | 08:38 AM - Posted by Bearded Frog (not verified)

Are you guys free to do whatever you want with the crate/crobar afterwards? Might be kind of a cool thing to give out in a mild contest or something, especially if they let you contest off the card too lol.

May 3, 2012 | 08:59 AM - Posted by MyMainWillCampU (not verified)

I am not terribly impressed, given the history of reliability (or lack thereof) of Nividia's high end cards. Look here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125364&Tpk=giga... The review page is filled with the complaints of people that have had their GTX 580's fail within 2-3 days or 2-3 months of use. I made the mistake of buying a GTX 580, and I live daily by the fear that it's going to fail at any moment. I don't so much care about top performance, as much as I care about reliability. IMO, Nividia should care about reliability first and then performance. The thought of paying over 1k Euro for this card and have it fail in a week of use or so makes me VERY anxious.