CES 2014: NVIDIA Shows Modified ASUS PQ321Q 4K Monitor with G-Sync

Subject: Graphics Cards, Displays | January 8, 2014 - 04:01 AM |
Tagged: pq321q, PQ321, nvidia, gsync, g-sync, CES 2014, CES, asus, 4k

Just before CES Allyn showed you the process of modifying the ASUS VG248QE to support NVIDIA G-Sync variable refresh rate technology.  It wasn't the easiest mod we have ever done but even users without a lot of skill will be able to accomplish it.

But at the NVIDIA booth at CES this year the company was truly showing off G-Sync technology to its fullest capability.  By taking the 3840x2160 ASUS PQ321Q monitor and modifying it with the same G-Sync module technology we were able to see variable refresh rate support in 4K glory.

Obviously you can't see much from the photo above about the smoothness of the animation, but I can assure you that in person this looks incredible.  In fact, 4K might be the perfect resolution for G-Sync to shine as running games at that high of a resolution will definitely bring your system to its knees, dipping below that magical 60 Hz / FPS rate.  But when it does with this modified panel, you'll still get smooth game play and a a tear-free visual experience.

The mod is actually using the same DIY kit that Allyn used in his story though it likely has a firmware update for compatibility.  Even with the interesting debate from AMD about the support for VRR in the upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 standard, it's impossible to not see the ASUS PQ321Q in 4K with G-Sync and instantly fall in love with PCs again.

Sorry - there are no plans to offer this upgrade kit for ASUS PQ321Q owners!

Coverage of CES 2014 is brought to you by AMD!

PC Perspective's CES 2014 coverage is sponsored by AMD.

Follow all of our coverage of the show at http://pcper.com/ces!

January 8, 2014 | 10:37 AM - Posted by Paul Keeble (not verified)

We get that its possible, what we want is the darn thing to be on sale already at a reasonable price.
My ideal monitor makes little in the way of compromises:
Gsync, 4k, 120hz and decent image quality. I don't need 10 bit beauty but colour shifting TN with backlight bleed and a minimum brightness of 150 cd/m2 isn't what I (and I suspect many others) are looking for.

January 8, 2014 | 11:58 AM - Posted by Ryan D. (not verified)

I want one! :)

January 8, 2014 | 04:42 PM - Posted by grok23 (not verified)

I'd love to get a hold of one of those Gsync kits (doable) and that firmware to use it on the PQ321Q (Not doable :( ).

January 8, 2014 | 08:19 PM - Posted by Zurv (not verified)

waaaaaaaaaaa.. i want this for my sharp pnk321!

January 8, 2014 | 10:09 PM - Posted by kin (not verified)

Yea well.. im using a 55" sony w905 (the highest end tv). tell me when the best picture quality and sub 1frame input delay tvs have this.

April 30, 2014 | 07:44 PM - Posted by deathadderpaul (not verified)

Of course they wont offer this ridiculous kit for 230.00 which is insane anyway! They can sell their partners new monitors instead. Has anyone actually gotten their kits yet ? (April 30/2014) I call BS on Ge Force. I have seen everybody on their forum waiting for 5 months for this! and it pisses me off because I run all GTX 780 cards! Meanwhile AMD has just had their version approved by VESA standards! LOL I may be looking at some new R295s or whatever is above that!