AMD Catalyst 13.6 Beta Drivers For Windows and Linux Now Available

Subject: Graphics Cards | May 28, 2013 - 11:32 PM |
Tagged: gpu, drivers, catalyst 13.6 beta, beta, amd

AMD has released its Catalyst 13.6 beta graphics driver, and it fixes a number of issues under both Windows 8 and Linux. The new beta driver is also compatible with the existing Catalyst 13.5 CAP1 (Catalyst Application Profile) which improves performance of several PC games.

As far as the Windows version of the graphics driver, Catalyst 13.6 adds OpenCL GPU acceleration support to Adobe's Premiere Pro CC software and enables AMD Wireless Display technology on systems with the company's A-Series APUs and either Broadcom or Atheros Wi-Fi chipsets. AMD has also made a couple of tweaks to its Enduro technology, including correctly identifying when a Metro app idles and offloading the corresponding GPU tasks to integrated graphics instead of a discrete card. The new beta driver also resolves an issue with audio dropout over HDMI.

On the Linux side of things, Catalyst 13.6 beta adds support for the following when using AMD's A10, A8, A6, and A4 APUs:

• Ubuntu 13.04
  • Xserver 1.14
  • GLX_EXT_buffer age

The driver fixes several bugs as well, including resolving black screen and corruption issues under TF2, an issue with OpenGL applications and VSYNC, and UVD playback issues where the taskbar would disappear and/or the system would experience a noticeable performance drop while playing a UVD in XBMC.

You can grab the new beta driver from the AMD website.

Source: AMD
May 29, 2013 | 07:17 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

But...no hint of crossfire frame runt issues being resolved :(

May 29, 2013 | 10:10 AM - Posted by SetiroN

That's not coming before the end of the year.

May 29, 2013 | 02:24 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

From what I've heard on various podcasts, there is a beta driver that addresses the frame rating issues, but it's not publicly available yet, and AMD hasn't given a definite date. I'm sure the people with the beta driver know more about when it will be released, but likely cannot say b/c of NDA.

March 22, 2014 | 11:13 AM - Posted by Lettie (not verified)

"What is the difference between DSL, IDSL, HDSL, SDSL, ADSL, CDSL, Ci - DSL, etc. Hypnosis can actually do more harm than good in therapy sessions when patients are asked to recall deep, dark memories of the past. Let's find out what makes some bedsheets softer when compared with others.

May 29, 2013 | 12:32 PM - Posted by Alexw585

I thought Ryan said possibly this summer?

I have a Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC to 1.1GHz (also 3770K at 4.0GHz on air, and 16GB of Kingston @ 1600MHz) and I'm doing pretty good. Can't max out Crysis 3 at 1080p though. I think with another I can max it out at 1080p, and go up to 2560 x 1440 safely. I probably wont have it in my budget for a while though anyways haha...

May 29, 2013 | 04:43 PM - Posted by Allen (not verified)

Do I dare try this on my laptop? I have a feeling it will bork my xserver like the last 3-4 releases :(

May 29, 2013 | 04:59 PM - Posted by JwolfTech (not verified)

So OpenGL now performs similar to Nvidia's Cuda cores in video rendering acceleration? If so this is a huge help for AMD. Would always buy a AMD card if it helped increase video rendering speed.