The good, the bad and ... ya that is just dang ugly
Subject: General Tech | October 5, 2011 - 10:06 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: rage, gaming, battlefield 3
This has been a busy week for the gamer and the game reviewer as we have seen the (partial) release of two long awaited games. The first to arrive was the beta for Battlefield 3, delivered via a new delivery system called Origin which is like Steam only not as good. The beta has received good reviews for the gaming portion but the game browser and the entire process to just get into a game has not, as you can read about at The Tech Report. As reviewers we cannot just play a game however, it needs to be benchmarked for performance to ensure that you know what to expect in the way of framerates as well as how the image quality stacks up. At PC Perspective we've also made some recommendations on the best parts to buy depending on the resolution you wish to play at, which has sparked a slew of comments on our choices.
Then, the long anticipated Rage hit and proved worthy of it's name. Those who could manage to get past the many causes of the instant crash to desktop on launch were disappointed as to the quality of the Mega Textures that we were promised. This has caused upset in many places, [H]ard|OCP providing some unfiltered feed back here, which is being reflected on many other sites. Ryan went so far as to slow down game play so you can see the console-tastic texture fill rate as well as the incredibly limited graphics settings in his article on rage.
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- New Voxatron trailer shows off voxels, level editor, joy @ Ars Technica
- Ars at the Tokyo Game Show: the best titles from a world away
- Mass Effect 3 – Expo Preview @ Guru3D
- Gigabyte X58A-OC Intel X58 Motherboard Review @ ThinkComputers
- Migrating Your EA Games from Steam or Retail to Origin @ Techgage
- Nexus: The Jupiter Incident Sequel? Maybe @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Albion The Bridge: X Rebirth @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Gears of War 3 - Xbox 360 @ HEXUS
- Aliens Infestation Game Review (Nintendo DS) @ HardwareHeaven
- Dark Souls (XBOX 360) Review @ HardwareHeaven
Get notified when we go live!