You know, where I come from: Dubstep Claptrap is a disease.

Subject: General Tech | March 17, 2012 - 02:26 PM |
Tagged: pc gaming, gearbox, borderlands 2

Gearbox advertises an enhanced PC experience for Borderlands 2 in the form of a love letter.

It takes a lot of devotion, effort, and trust to make a compelling game for the PC. Apparently Claptrap is willing to take all the time necessary to get into our pants -- or wherever else you carry your credit card. It is somewhat sad how stories like these are newsworthy. This kind-of calls to attention how half-assed most games are these days in general, for all systems, especially when it comes to optimizing for platform-specific traits.

Actually on second thought, maybe we will need some Penicillin.

The list of PC-specific enhancements is quite long, but most entries are based on interface and Steam integration features:

• FOV slider
  • “100%” mouse usable menus/mouse wheel scrolling
  • Remappable keybindings for keyboard/mouse
  • PC specific UI
  • Native multiplayer matchmaking
  • Push to talk
  • Logitech keyboard support ((I assume they mean LCD screen information))
  • LAN support (including OFFLINE mode)
  • Control pad support
  • Integrated v-sync option
  • Support for higher resolutions
  • Mouse smoothing options (can be disabled completely)
  • Cloud save support
  • Achievement support
  • Friends list support
  • No port forwarding required

Is there any feature that you wish would be included for the PC version? Personally I would like the option for splitscreen support especially for those with Eyefinity setups. How about you?

March 17, 2012 | 03:31 PM - Posted by Wolvenmoon (not verified)

Local splitscreen, modding SDK, and a transferable license.

March 18, 2012 | 12:07 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I love how "100% mouse usable menus" is now considered a PC specific "enhancement". =)

March 18, 2012 | 05:57 AM - Posted by Biggie (not verified)

I'm glad that Gearbox is putting more effort into the PC version of Borderlands 2. I guess this is the reward we get for giving the PC version of Borderlands such a long tail, it's still in the top 100 on Steam. Hopefully, they won't fleece us with DLC...

March 18, 2012 | 04:27 PM - Posted by Ced (not verified)

Doesn't eyefinity just show up as one bigass screen towards the game? I haven't played the game myself, but i found that most games support eyefinity just fine, granted you set it up properly.

But yay! This list of improvements is really neat, might actually push me that whole last few yards to make me buy this game!

March 18, 2012 | 04:35 PM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

Good eyefinity support means scaling the HUD properly, leaving most of it on the center screen instead of chucking it off in the corners you can't see, etc, etc. It's a little more tricky than simply supporting the big resolution.

March 18, 2012 | 04:50 PM - Posted by Ced (not verified)

True I guess, though I have an eyefinity setup (albeit 3x a pivotted 24 inch samsung) at home and I personally have no trouble with hud scaling.

March 18, 2012 | 06:27 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

I meant split-screen to compliment Eyefinity...

In other words, each player would have their own monitor off one PC.