Xbox One Controller PC Drivers Now Available

Subject: General Tech | June 8, 2014 - 01:09 AM |
Tagged: xbox, microsoft, pc gaming, reverse-consolitis

Ah cool. Microsoft has provided the 32-bit and 64-bit (x86) drivers for their Xbox One controllers. The controller can only be used in wired mode, connected to the PC with a micro-USB cable, and there does not seem to be any plans to develop a PC wireless dongle like the 360 had. It will support any game which can make use of an Xbox 360 controller, which is certainly a lot of games.

The D-Pad is said to be a huge step up from the 360, which is a polite way of saying the 360's directional pad was absolute garbage. I am hesitant about the rest of the controller, though. I have heard numerous complaints about its design, particularly with its shoulder buttons, although it is hard to know without physically trying it. Like all peripherals, I would expect it comes down to personal preference to some extent.

PC gamers have other choices, too. For instance, unofficial support for the PS4 controller exists, albeit it is missing features from what I remember (it does support Bluetooth wireless on the PC, however). Also, and this is a better option, numerous PC gaming companies have their own controllers, including Razer, Logitech, and others.

But, of course, if you already have an Xbox One -- then why not try its controller on your PC?

June 8, 2014 | 02:00 AM - Posted by dave (not verified)

Finally now I can Play Watch Dogs with Xbone controller!

June 8, 2014 | 03:25 AM - Posted by Alejandro (not verified)

There is no way to update the firmware for now.

Bought one of these a while ago to use with the non official drivers and thought those drivers had an issue with a posterior deadzone on the end of the axis.

It turns out the issue was inside the firmware:

June 8, 2014 | 05:48 AM - Posted by Jeff K (not verified)

You don't realize how terrible and awkward feeling the Xbox 360 controller is until you've used the Xbox One controller exclusively for a while. The difference when you pick up the 360 controller is immediately noticeable and you can never go back.

June 8, 2014 | 08:59 AM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

That's what I felt. Really glad I was able to return it.
I hate/love the long cable on the pc 360 controllers. I wish I could have the option of using any usb for it, nice short or long one. But yea. 360>one controller.

The d-pad I only use for retro stuff anywho, still never had much of an issue with it.. Did fine in Guilty Gear though.

June 8, 2014 | 11:53 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Somebody will take a Raspberry PI, or other smaller USB based SOC and code it for converting to WIFI and spoof the XBONE controller into working with WIFI. Just give the crackers some time with the drivers. Where there's a will, and some money to be made, the hackers and crackers will step up if M$ does not. You can bet those Chinese specialty device makers are working as we post!

June 8, 2014 | 10:39 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

never happened for the 360 so why would it for this?

June 9, 2014 | 07:12 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

There are wireless solutions! M$ XBONE even with the extra shaders released from the K-EYE, still weaker than the PS4. The only thing selling the XBONE is the exclusive games! XBONE, now without the all seeing eye, see the high resolution yet!

June 8, 2014 | 02:05 PM - Posted by Stealthgyro

For games that I prefer controller (few and far between) Dualshock 4 is the way to go.

June 9, 2014 | 12:28 AM - Posted by collie (not verified)

I prefer a gamepad over keyboard/mouse whenever its possible, and I loved the Logitech f310. It was perfect, just the ideal pad for me. Over 4 years I wore out 7 of those gamepads. Now I use a xbone 360 controler. I hate it, I miss my d-pad. However it's still working after 13 months. I hate it, but m$ make a sturdy controler