Wonder why you can hear the sounds of pickaxes when you make breakfast?

Subject: General Tech | March 20, 2014 - 12:01 PM |
Tagged: bitcoin, dogecoin, internet of things, cryptocurrency

Not content to ruin the hopes of gamers wanting to upgrade to a Hawaii based AMD GPU now your smart devices are being press ganged into mining crypto-currency.  Everything from TVs and fridges through printers, routers and security cameras can be infected with the linux.darlloz worm and will then begin mining for the author of the worm.  The worm will even block other infections and has even been monitored patching certain holes in routers to prevent anything else from infecting the device and slowing down the mining computations.  The Inquirer does have some humourous news about this worm, there are 31,716 separate IP addresses infected but this has manged to raise a mere $196.00 so for the author.

"A WORM that leverages the Internet of Things to mine cryptocurrencies has been found to have infected around 31,000 devices."

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Tech Talk

Source: The Register
March 20, 2014 | 12:11 PM - Posted by Jim cherry (not verified)

Seems bitcoin mining isn't as scalable as folding.

March 20, 2014 | 01:28 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Can It turn my fridge, toster, etc. into a render farm?
That would be a good use of this idle extra computing capacity.

March 21, 2014 | 10:35 AM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Native support even  :D   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Toaster

March 20, 2014 | 02:06 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It's a good thing that my fridge and TVs are not new :)

March 21, 2014 | 01:05 AM - Posted by Pholostan

A worm that uses a weakness in php-cgi that was patched back in 2012? Not really worried.

March 21, 2014 | 10:35 AM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

But how many people haven't patched their routers and assorted other goodies?

March 26, 2014 | 08:54 PM - Posted by Pholostan

Too many, I do get your point :) Too much stuff with processors in them and internet connection around.

I should have said that I am not worried for my own stuff or our stuff at work. People in general I rather not think about, like I rather not think about drunk drivers when I'm out riding on my bike.