Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $39.99 Through January 31, 2013

Subject: General Tech | July 2, 2012 - 08:22 PM |
Tagged: windows 8, microsoft, software, operating system

A few days ago we covered the Windows 8 upgrade process, and specifically what Microsoft will allow you to bring with you into a Windows 8 install from a previous version of the operating system. At the time of writing, we did not know the pricing for upgrade editions. However, today Microsoft released pricing information for upgrade licenses of the Windows 8 OS.

Through January 31, 2013, you will be able to purchase an upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 in 131 markets. Even better, you will further be able to add Windows Media Center for free via the “add features” option in Windows 8 after you have performed the update. The forty dollar price only includes the digital download version of the operating system. Using it, you will be able to either create your own media (USB or DVD) or purchase a physical installation DVD from Microsoft for an additional $15 plus shipping and handling.

The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant is Microsoft’s recommended vehicle for installing Windows 8 over a previous version, but they are also allowing clean installs. The upgrade process is very similar to past transitions (say, from Vista to 7). The difference is that you do not need to have the media downloaded to begin the upgrade. After purchasing, it has a built-in downloader that will download the required files and verify them (you can further pause and resume the download).

If you prefer to buy locally, you will be able to purchase a retail-packaged version of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $69.99 until January 31, 2013. Beyond the upgrade versions, Microsoft has announced that System Builder versions of Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro will be available, though they did not state a specific price for the DIY-friendly versions.

You can find more information over at the Windows 8 blog, but I have to admit that it is a much more attractive price than I expected for the Pro version (much less free WMC!). Is this a price that might convince you to upgrade, or will you be sticking with a previous Windows version regardless?

July 2, 2012 | 08:56 PM - Posted by Hoppy (not verified)

This is amazing news. Clearly a stroke of brilliance on Microsofts part. They see the future of the Windows 8 kernal on PCs, Tablets, Laptops, phones, and devices all running the same Metro UI. The sooner people have Windows 8, the sooner Microsoft will be able to do it.

July 2, 2012 | 09:18 PM - Posted by peter pannzie (not verified)

the world is going green woooooo

July 2, 2012 | 09:22 PM - Posted by julian girlmagnet (not verified)

i cant wait to play the new game KENJIdagg with this O S

July 2, 2012 | 10:07 PM - Posted by Darkkewlz (not verified)

This might be the first version of Windows i actually buy (not OEM installed). But is Windows 8 really worth it? so far looks like we all will be paying for a headache. But $40.00 is a decent aspirin.

July 2, 2012 | 11:53 PM - Posted by cyow

Yes well done to them they get it at last i might get 2 copy's at praise

July 3, 2012 | 04:21 AM - Posted by David (not verified)

A phone frontend (changeable), awkward multi-tasking, and the inevitable incompatibilities...no thanks ! No killer, new features for me. Nice price-point though.

July 3, 2012 | 06:00 AM - Posted by Somar (not verified)

I might be tempted to buy a copy on January 30th, but I'm not installing it for the foreseeable future. That at least gives me the option of upgrading when we've reached the point where 7 is no longer supported. My PC isn't a tablet, and I really don't want it to look or feel anything like one.

July 3, 2012 | 07:38 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Does this included OEM versions?

July 3, 2012 | 01:07 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

From what I gathered in the comments (and how things have worked in the past), yes. You should be able to upgrade to Windows 8 from an OEM copy of Windows 7.

July 3, 2012 | 11:35 AM - Posted by dreamer77dd

The price is cheap enough that i might not feel burned if i got a copy.
I feel they might need a service pack 2 before it becomes interesting for me.
The split personality between tablet and pc seems weird and not very streamlined or not unnoticable.
Might be a vista killer OS.
Still willing to keep up with the news on it though.
Just not sure yet if i would go for windows 8.

July 3, 2012 | 12:00 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Its gonna make my monitor dirty.

July 3, 2012 | 12:06 PM - Posted by Wolvenmoon (not verified)

So how does it keep my upgrade license if I reformat if I don't have download media? What do I do to avoid losing it?

July 3, 2012 | 01:09 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

You just keep the key they give you, that's the important part. In the past, you've also been able to re-download the files as many times as you needed so long as you remembered what email and such you registered with their digital store.

You can always burn your own DVD or copy the files to a USB drive to back up the download as well.

July 3, 2012 | 10:28 PM - Posted by SonicPet07

This takes me from having no interest in Windows 8 to thinking I'll pick up a copy or 2 just to have around and potentially put on a machine or VM. Good choice on there part.

Side note... I wonder if my school will have cheaper options... hmmmmmm.

July 3, 2012 | 11:44 PM - Posted by cyow

at this cost no need for anyone to pirate a copy so a good move on there part

July 4, 2012 | 07:17 AM - Posted by ThorAxe

Now if we can just disable Metro.......

July 4, 2012 | 11:47 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

Agreed!

Heh.. maybe MS will charge people to disable Metro like they were charging $99 to disable bloatware in Windows 7 PCs ;).

Wait.. I shouldn't give them any ideas :(

July 4, 2012 | 05:09 PM - Posted by Branthog

I wouldn't even go Windows 8 if they paid me $40.

July 14, 2012 | 09:34 AM - Posted by clay elwood (not verified)

I tried their pre-release and it was a mess.I don't care for the tiles and the system was to involved - it made VISTA
look good.