What will survive from Games for Windows Live?

Subject: General Tech | January 22, 2014 - 02:58 PM |
Tagged: gaming, microsoft, G4WL

With the ending of Microsoft's Games for Windows Live service many people are understandably worried that they will no longer be able to access games that they have legitimately purchased.  Some games, such as BioShock 2 have been made available via Steam and so will continue to be available but there is a long list of other games for with the future is uncertain.  The list HEXUS provides is far from complete as many companies have yet to respond to inquiries about the future of their games and for quite a few the only thing we know is that the game is not currently slated to be removed.  Check the current list and keep your eyes open for updates.

"We last mentioned the closure of the Games for Windows Live (G4WL) service back in October when we heard about BioShock 2 being updated and the main game and all its DLC being made available upon Steam so it could continue to be enjoyed."

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Gaming

Source: Hexus
January 22, 2014 | 06:08 PM - Posted by chefbenito (not verified)

This makes my week. GFWL was always and awful hurdle that we had to jump through, with really no benefit to the end user. Can I nominate Adobe to be next on the chopping block.

January 22, 2014 | 06:47 PM - Posted by Daniel Masterson (not verified)

I like digital services such as steam and GOG and the like but once these services go away and they will all that money I spent will be gone. Physical copies are always the way to go!

January 22, 2014 | 07:03 PM - Posted by biohazard918

GOG is a drm free service IF it were to fold you would be in the same boat as if you had bought DRM FREE physical media. Problem is a lot of games you buy on a disk have some kind of web based drm. GOG really shouldn't be compared to other digital game retailers at most you are merely purchasing a license or renting the game for an indeterminate period depending on the eula where as with GOG you bought it you own it.

January 22, 2014 | 10:44 PM - Posted by Daniel Masterson (not verified)

Oh I definitely realize that but I don't back up all my games on discs or hard drives which I should but those wont last nearly as long as some of my NES cartridges but eventually all things will fade away.

January 22, 2014 | 07:41 PM - Posted by Jon (not verified)

Codemasters Dirt 2 had better be updated to Steamworks. I will be some angry if online play ends.

January 22, 2014 | 10:01 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Physical media (the one that not push shitty online shit) is the best choice. but business r moving towards this model. so they can milk out all the money they can.

January 23, 2014 | 02:56 AM - Posted by biohazard918

I don't feel that way at all I prefer not having to keep track physical disks or to wait for a disk to be shipped to me. I like having my game saves backed up in the cloud and synchronized across my pcs. Its only a matter of time till physical media is dead and I for one will not lament its passing.

January 24, 2014 | 02:45 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You forgot to mention that digital distribution has allowed us to get games at a colossal discount from years ago when we had to go to a store and buy a physical copy.