Video Perspective: SEIKI SE39UY04 39-in 4K 3840x2160 TV Unboxing and Overview

Subject: General Tech, Displays | July 20, 2013 - 11:36 PM |
Tagged: video, seiki, SE39UY04, hdtv, displays, 4k, 3840x2160

After the interest in our overview of the SEIKI 50-in 4K HDTV last April, we got word that SEIKI was making a smaller version of the same television.  The SE39UY04 is now available and sells for just under $700 at various online retailers and is surely piquing the interest of many PC users and enthusiasts with the combination of a 3840x2160 resolution and 39-in screen size.

In nearly every way, this 39-in model is identical to the 50-in version with the exception of size and pixel density.  Having just recently published a review of the ASUS PQ321Q 4K monitor on PC Perspective I can now report that the move from 60 Hz screens to 30 Hz screens, even at this kind of resolution and screen size, is very apparent.

Below is our initial video unboxing and overview of the new SEIKI SE39UY04.  Check it out and leave us any questions or ideas below!

July 21, 2013 | 04:01 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

if you run it in 2k mode do you get 60hz???? thnx

July 22, 2013 | 01:32 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

I don't think so.

July 23, 2013 | 12:59 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

What do you mean by 2K? At 1920x1080 it'll do 60hz or 120hz.

October 20, 2013 | 11:37 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I own this monitor and I do 120hz on 1920, 100hz on 2k and 30hz on 4k. Just log into the NVidia panel and set your own resolution then click test and done.

January 31, 2014 | 12:05 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Does this TV support 1920 X 1200

July 21, 2013 | 05:02 AM - Posted by Dude^^ (not verified)

Too bad the scalers on that thing do a terrible job at actually stretching 1080p to 4k, cause it would be awesome to at least test gaming @ 1080p but at higher refresh rates, specially with the TITAN in the system, if that yielded good results it would've made the set more attractive as a choice (i.e. does more than 60hz gaming on 1080p and looks good, 4k video content looks cool with a bit of calibration)

note: apparently the Sharp PN-K321 is utilizing DisplayPort 1.2, which enables it to run 4k@60hz

July 21, 2013 | 05:04 AM - Posted by djotter

"I can now report that the move from 60 Hz screens to 30 Hz screens, even at this kind of resolution and screen size, is very apparent."

So is it better or worse? What if you use Vsync? Would it be a good monitor if you didn't play fast action games? (FPS, race sims)

July 21, 2013 | 03:36 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Did you guys test the 1080p@120hz??? This is the best feature of this tv and I would appreciate an analysis of performance at that resolution. Things like input lag, ghosting...

July 22, 2013 | 01:33 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

It doesn't do 120 Hz like some monitors do.  This is just 120 Hz interpolation like many other TVs do.

July 22, 2013 | 04:20 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks for reply.

Are you sure this model doesn't do 120hz input? The 50 inch Seiki 4k model can do 120 hz native input apparently.

I've personally seen it do 75 hz at tiger direct@1080p but couldn't get it to 120hz.

July 23, 2013 | 12:41 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I managed to create custom resolution (both GTX 580 and GTX 780) and got 1920x1080 @120Hz working (as well as 2560x1440 @60Hz).
GTX 580 really doesn´t support 4K, as rustom resolution 4K image guality is MUCH worse than with GTX780 (which supports 4K natively). And I got GTX 580 4K resolution games workin only in windowed mode (not full screen modes).

July 23, 2013 | 01:01 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It does do true 120hz, at least when the firmware has been updated to the latest version.

July 21, 2013 | 05:06 PM - Posted by Ss3trnks2

What kind of frame rate would you get with this *television when you use nvidia's adaptive v-sync?

July 22, 2013 | 01:33 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

That's a loaded question as it depends 100% on the game and settings...

July 21, 2013 | 09:02 PM - Posted by Kusanagi (not verified)

Hey Ryan, what was the input delay like while gaming on this?

July 22, 2013 | 01:33 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Seemed pretty minimal really.

July 22, 2013 | 10:50 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"is surely peaking the interesting of many PC users"- rly? Hint- try "piquing" and "interest".

July 22, 2013 | 01:35 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

lol fixed.

July 22, 2013 | 11:28 AM - Posted by Philip Parr (not verified)

This query applies to both this and the Asus monitor. Apologies in advance if I missed this in the reviews, but what happens if you drive these monitors direct from a Haswell chip with integrated 4k graphics?

July 22, 2013 | 01:34 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

It should work in the same way as when connecting it to an AMD or NVIDIA discrete GPU.

July 22, 2013 | 02:42 PM - Posted by Philip Parr (not verified)

Wow - a response - and quickly too! Yes, the "should" in your comment makes perfect sense but I'm such a suspicious type. I never play games. My main requirement is to retouch static images in Photoshop for viewing at 8k resolution, so a 4k monitor gets me closer to that ideal. I just find it too good to be true that I could work with internal graphics. You may not be aware that few (if any) sites seem to be taking 4k seriously, so everything you have posted is extremely valuable. I don't see myself as leading edge, but recently trying to acquire a Thunderbolt PC suitable for my 4k task has proved unachievable. The Gigabyte Thunderbolt motherboard for the Haswell is announced but seemingly with no release date. No wonder desktop PC sales are dwindling.
Thanks for the opportunity to drone on - no need to reply -just keep up the 4k coverage.

July 22, 2013 | 12:10 PM - Posted by Ammon (not verified)

Have you tried to overclock the refresh rate using he Nvidia settings?

July 22, 2013 | 01:34 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

We did try actually, without luck this time. :(

July 22, 2013 | 02:58 PM - Posted by Hung Low (not verified)

Hey Ryan, I know this tv doesn't have displayport because it's calssified as a tv. But since you have direct contact with the manufacturer, do you know if they would ever add displayport?

July 22, 2013 | 04:05 PM - Posted by drbaltazar (not verified)

Guys think about it!dell sell a 24 inch do 1.2 that do adobe rgb 99% and sRGB 100% for 450$ clearly the seiki will miss lot of feature for that price.and for computer do 1.2 and sRGB 100% is the minimum you would want anyway.

July 24, 2013 | 08:32 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

ok, not for gaming, but for text editing, web browsing, etc., on linux. won't push as much visual info.

I can get myself a 30" Dell 2560x1600 monitor for about $800 used now, or this seiki 39" monitor for $700 incl better speakers.

what would you prefer?

July 28, 2013 | 11:17 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yeah, I'm on the fence about this too! Here is my opinion so far:

1) If you NEED a large screen area for primarily static content (software programming, document publishing, stock trading, music editing, etc.), then this monitor is basically 4 19.5" 1080p monitors stacked edge to edge, but is better than four monitors since there is no bezel splitting up the image, the price is similar (4*$150=$600), and there is so much vertical space that you could avoid frequently rotating the display.

2) If you game a lot or watch a lot of movies, the seiki could be used for those tasks in 1080p120Hz. Whether or not this is acceptable depends solely on how your room is setup. If you have a couch 6 feet back, then it's an ideal tv-plus-monitor-all-in-one solution. If you need to sit two feet back, then you will notice the low dpi and might be bothered by how eye-bendingly huge everything is. This also has the advantage that 1080p is less strenuous on a video card, and from a far enough distance has little to no image penalty.

3) If your work demands high image fidelity (accurate colors, smooth animation), then hands down, go for a used dell 30" or a new 27" 2560x1440 or 29" 2560x1080. You will get a consistent experience whether you are working or gaming and you won't be compromising on colour accuracy. This resolution is well established and will be just fine to get you through the next couple of years. You can probably find one for $400 or less, and in a couple years 4k will become more common and cheaper. Not to mention, you can probably save about $400 by going with one of the korean or monoprice panels!

August 9, 2013 | 10:11 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I own a Dell 30" monitor (2560x1600 max resolution) and a Seiki SE39UY04 39" monitor (3840x2160 max resolution but I can only do 1920x1080 until I get a new video card). If 3840x2160 works as well as I think it will, I'd recommend the 39" monitor if you will be using it for web browsing, etc.---but not gaming.

July 31, 2013 | 02:55 AM - Posted by marklampard (not verified)

Hey Guys,

I can't seem to find information on power input anywhere.
Does this TV support 240V power (AU/UK/EU type) input?

Thanks in advance.

July 31, 2013 | 08:14 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yes, it supports 100-240V
(I have bought one and I live in Finland)

July 31, 2013 | 12:54 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

August 2, 2013 | 06:37 PM - Posted by sambatico (not verified)

i have seiki 39 4k hooked to

1- as a 4th monitor to my 4800x2560 ( 4 way titan sli) on HDM1.

2- as main monitor to my 4770k + 7970 AMD mini gaming rig on HDMI2.

3- 690 gtx on as a second monitor to my 55 inch samsung.

will try to make it short:

-on the titans , blinking occasionally until the latest beta was released ( nvidia (326.41 beta driver ).

-didnt work as 4k on the dvi to hdmi converter on the 690 gtx

-plug and play on 7970 amd.

-non stop blinking on HD4600 intel ( maybe a firmware update can fix this).

-couldnt get it to 120 hz on titans but 80 hz was fine and cant do it on 7970 without a custom inf ( didnt try it but i know ppl did it)

-30 hz is a game killer , but its wonderfull as a secondary monitor , the res is just awsome and titans can handle both 4800x2560 and the 4k at the same time

-colors need calibration but i can live with the factory colors.

-totaly waste of money when its hooked to a full HD source ( ie: sat box , TV...etc) picture Q is bad at any refresh rate u select unless on full HD res , my samsung 55 seri 8 beats it hands down on all aspects on that res.

-speakers on the monitor are a joke

i would recomend it as pc monitors for photo editing with the right calibration tool , but not for gaming or even daily use as a TV.

sorry for the bad english and i hope those short notes will help.

August 18, 2013 | 11:16 AM - Posted by Dac (not verified)

I've bought one, and this review would have helped had I not jumped at the opportunity, and I'd have held off.

Expecting delivery tomorrow or Tuesday, and hoping that SLI 570's can cope :)

Still 3840 * 2160, with a 1600 * 2560 'secondary' 30" display in Portrain mode (my desk ain't wide enough to have a 32" and 30" side by side in Landscape.

30hz isn't going to be too bad, I'll just enable vsync in everything :)

I'm too old to play 'competitive' FPS these days (55), so it isn't a big deal not to be able to game at 60+hz.

August 20, 2013 | 09:33 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Does the following statement still stand?

"It doesn't do 120 Hz like some monitors do. This is just 120 Hz interpolation like many other TVs do."

If not, it would be nice to watch some demo. thanks

August 23, 2013 | 07:30 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hi folks,

I appreciate the Seiki review,and had a couple of questions which I'm sure more "serious" gamers would also like to know.

a) Were you able to successfully setup a custom resolution
of 1440p with 60-80hz like some have claimed?

b) I'm a little bit surprised with the "poor" quality of the 1080p resolution, as the scaling should be EXACTLY 4 pixels to 1, which should result in an identical quality to a native 1080p. (have you tried with Nvidia/AMD scaling, rathe than using the TVs, in case it's doing something "wrong").

c) And finally, between a custom 1440p and a 1080p on this specific TV, did you experience a superior image @ 1440p or 1080p. This sounds like a dumb question, but 1080p doesn't require pixel approximation/scaling (4:1) whereas 1440p would.

October 2, 2013 | 05:45 PM - Posted by Jike (not verified)

Hello there , I just order the seiki 39" 4k tv and wanted to know if my nvidia 690 gpu do 4k with the dvi to hdmi converter or can I just used the dvi wire thanks

October 25, 2013 | 06:35 PM - Posted by luckyxiaoj (not verified)

i have a question for you~~i got exactly same tv with you, but when i connected with my pc, the desktop resolution is not 4k,when i open the chrome the picture looks faintness, but during the game it works fine on 4k resolution. my video card is gtx760

February 23, 2014 | 02:36 AM - Posted by Ed Deveaux (not verified)

Thanks for the great presentation on 4k. I have just finished setting up the SE55UY04 to work with a mid 2009 MacBook Pro. 2560x1440, 2048x1152 and 1920x1440 all at 30 Hz
I got the 55" on sale at Sears for. $800.00. I was able to use SwitchResX to configure the resolutions on the ?MacBook PRO. I will be also adding a SE39UY04. $499 @ sears to my equipment.
I used a min display port to hdmi adaptor and hdmi cable to connect.

Keep up the good work. let me know when you do the 8k SExxUY06 hdmi 2.0

June 7, 2014 | 02:10 AM - Posted by Bill (not verified)

need a list of video cards that support the 4K option - I have a 620, a great 580 and another I thought high end video card but none will display greater than 1920 (vs 4K)
do I need a special cable - or multiple cables or just two new video cards - please if you have a list of the models that support 4K I would appreciate it, also I do not want to spend $ 500.00 for a video card.

all my cards support 2560x1440 with just the dvi cable (30 inch dell)

Seiki SE39UY04

January 24, 2015 | 10:48 PM - Posted by hdokes (not verified)

I too have purchased the Seiki SE39UY04 and can not get it to display in 4k despite my performing all the 'tricks' listed in various posts. I have the most recent nvidia drivers (346.35) and with the changes I have entered I have options for resolutions through the nvidia X Server Settings window for 3840x2160 but when I select anything over 1920x1080 and apply the monitor blanks out until the timeout is reached then reverts back to HD mode.

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 i7 machine and have also installed a brand new EVGA nvidia GTX 960 to drive the display. As was asked by Bill above, and the one thing I have not seen anywhere yet, is there a requirement for dual HDMI connections required or is there some other trick?