Video Perspective: The $50 IKEA Standing Desk Mod

Subject: General Tech | December 27, 2013 - 07:12 PM |
Tagged: video, standing desk, ikea

You have probably seen some interesting articles and content about standing desks; they are a growing trend for those of us that sit in front of computers all day.  While the health benefits and detriments are being battled out by scientists everywhere, I knew this was something I wanted to try for myself.

The problem?  I didn't want to spend $1400 on a desk with a motor on it before knowing if I would like the result.  After doing some research online and finding this post by Colin Nederkoorn, I decided to give an IKEA mod a shot with some slight modifications.

I just did this today so I am still just starting into the world of standing desks but you can be sure I'll have updates as the weeks go by on our PC Perspective Podcast!

• IKEA Lack Coffee Table - $20
  • IKEA Ekby Hemnes Shelf - $15
  • IKEA Ekby Valter Bracket - $4 each

December 27, 2013 | 07:28 PM - Posted by mAxius

thank you Ryan now i have to go to ikea :D

December 27, 2013 | 08:08 PM - Posted by cyberwire

Monitors seem kinda low?

December 27, 2013 | 09:03 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

According to what I have read the top 1/3 of the monitor should be eye level.  I am probably a bit above that yes.  Part of the issue with fixed desk solutions.

December 27, 2013 | 08:58 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hey Ryan thanks so much for this video I kinda ignored this whole "sitting is bad" thing for a little while because of the ridiculous prices of the standing desks but now I can have a full(ish) wallet AND proper body support.

December 27, 2013 | 09:03 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

It's more of a pain to convert back and forth, but I am willing to give it a shot!

December 28, 2013 | 06:23 AM - Posted by Andrew (not verified)

At least it's a cheaper option to try out first. You might not like it.

December 27, 2013 | 11:03 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Um can someone tell me which bolts, washers, etc to buy?

I'm not really a builder so I wouldn't know any of this stuff.

December 27, 2013 | 11:54 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

And while you're at it, tell me which gas to use in my car when I drive to the store.

December 28, 2013 | 03:27 AM - Posted by JohnGR (not verified)

Nice video. I also like to make stuff myself than just going to the nearest store to buy ready stuff usually at ridiculous high prices. You can enjoy making something yourself and have some stuff in your house that you can call yours. Really yours.

December 28, 2013 | 03:46 AM - Posted by Robert23655124 (not verified)

I've used motorized sit/stand desks at previous jobs and they do kick ass. It's awesome to switch back and forth within moments.

BUT for this kind of quick and dirty cheap setup I could only see using it with a Laptop (which would work just fine).

A desktop setup is just way too much hassle.

December 28, 2013 | 11:13 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

That balancing keyboard shelf is a disaster waitin to happen :) - at least attach it with a couple strips of velcro maybe

December 29, 2013 | 02:49 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

If you want to spend a bit more money, take a look at some of the Ergotron products. They make sit/stand solutions, but I went with the Ergotron Lx Dual Stacking Arm.

I mounted the arms at their highest position on the pole, but taller users may need to hack a solution for elevating the clamping base for proper monitor placement while standing. I place a separate platform on my desk for my keyboard and mouse.

The effort involved in switching back and forth is fairly minimal. Also note that my monitors are 24", not the 30" monsters that Ryan has.

December 29, 2013 | 08:48 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It may be slightly pricier, but I believe this to be a far superior long-term solution:

Switching between standing and sitting takes only a second. Simple, easy, and not too expensive. Ergotron products are overpriced.

As for the keyboard and mouse, a box and a shelf has worked fine for me for years. And both were practically free. ;)

December 30, 2013 | 03:32 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Why didn't I find these 6 months ago. Dang it!

December 29, 2013 | 01:06 PM - Posted by Holyneo (not verified)

I took some old computer desks and made a nice stand up desk by turning the desk on it side. I found it easier to get an adjustable stool that sits up high enough if I need to sit. Then I would just slide the stool underneath desk when standing.

December 29, 2013 | 01:37 PM - Posted by Holyneo (not verified)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/112830853@N05/11629332084/ is my project.

Maybe get me a Stool like this.

December 31, 2013 | 08:16 PM - Posted by Friarduck (not verified)

Add a couple of silicone feet to the top of each bracket and the shelf won't wiggle around on you. That also gives you a bit of a gap to use for cable routing if need be.

February 7, 2014 | 09:06 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

For those of you interested in learning more about standing desks, this is a very good website: