Video: How to Build a Gaming PC: OS Install, Steam Setup

Subject: General Tech, Systems | November 25, 2013 - 01:35 PM |
Tagged: xbox one, video, r9 270x, ps4, playstation 4, fx 6300, amd, 200r

Over the past week or so, we have been slowly putting together a guide to help interested readers select, build and now install everything necessary to build the perfect PC to compete against the new console generation.

In the first part, Josh and I discussed the new console architectures and how they were similar, and different, from modern PC gaming systems.  We also discussed a couple of specific build outs that we thought were price competitive with the Xbox One and the PS4 while also offering quite a bit more performance and flexibility for the user.

Gaming Build PlayStation 4 Xbox One
Processor AMD FX-6300 6-core CPU - $109 8-core Jaguar APU 8-core Jaguar APU
Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ - $59 Custom Custom
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1866 MHz (2 x 4GB) - $80 8GB GDDR5 8GB DDR3
Graphics Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB - $199 1152 Stream Unit APU 768 Stream Unit APU
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD - $64 500GB 5400 RPM 500GB
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case - $59 Custom Custom
Power Supply Corsair CX 600 watt 80+ Bronze - $69 Internal External
Optical Drive Pioneer Blu-ray Reader - $49 Blu-ray Blu-ray
OS Windows 8.1 OEM - $98 Custom, FreeBSD Custom, Windows
Peak Compute 2,690 GFLOPS 1,840 GFLOPS 1,270 GFLOPS
Total Price $780 - Amazon $399 - Amazon $499 - Amazon

In part 2, we recorded a video of me actually assembling the parts (or nearly the same parts) in the build to show users that might be intimidated by the process exactly how easy it is to build a PC from scratch.

Today, we finalize our journey with the installation of the operating system, setup of the Steam gaming platform and even how easy it is to run the PC when attached to a TV.

After briefly discussing the BIOS and UEFI on the motherboard, installing Windows 8.1 and then running the latest Steam client on the new PC, a brief demonstration of Metro: Last Light running in Big Picture Mode takes place.  With that we can demonstrate the power of the PC and the flexibility it truly offers over even the latest consoles.

I hope this set of videos has been useful for our readers that might have been interested in the idea of a gaming PC but were worried or unsure of their own ability to get the job done.  I think we have demonstrated that the entire process is easy, fun and rewarding - and can be done in a single afternoon as long as you order the right parts.

Let me know in the comments if you have any questions or feedback - and happy building!!

November 25, 2013 | 04:20 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

At least once a month, pcper should repeat this (not necessarly build a pc, but list the parts/prices/deals), compete with the gaming consoles, pc build. It should not take long for the component prices to come down to the price point that meets the costs/performence of the gaming consoles, or even costs less, with much better performence! I am sure there will be build it yourself packages, offered by the parts manfactures, to compete with the console Price/performence levels, now that the Xbox and PS4 consoles have been released!

November 25, 2013 | 09:12 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

yes , i agree.

November 26, 2013 | 07:22 AM - Posted by hosko

Ryan is there anything special about creating the USB version of the windows installer. I have purchased a OEM version of Win 8.1 pro except whenever I rip the DVD and try to use the Windows USB creation tool it errors out saying invalid iso. I've got a USB optical drive so worst case that will get me by.

February 6, 2014 | 03:55 PM - Posted by Jason (not verified)

Need some help please, I built this pc (this is my first build) and have installed tomb raider, I am only getting 32 fps on the bench mark test, is this the game or have I missed something. I was expecting 60 fps like the ps4 for the £800 price tag of the build. Any ideas?

April 25, 2014 | 02:53 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

hi

April 25, 2014 | 02:54 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

There is a difference between the pieces in the video and cutting on the list you will affect the performance

Please answer as soon as possible

July 5, 2014 | 07:02 PM - Posted by Stephen7896 (not verified)

Does this PC need a wireless adaptor?