Surprise! The Microsoft Surface won't be $200
Subject: General Tech | September 17, 2012 - 09:36 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: surface, microsoft, obvious, ballmer
While Steve Ballmer did not give a firm price for his companies Surface Tablet, The Inquirer was given a range that starts well above the original $200 price tag. The range he gave stretches from just over $300 to just over $800, fairly similar to the iPad range of pricing from the base 16GB WiFi only to the full 64GB WiFi and cellular. The hardware of Surface tablet is going to have to shine in order to compete in the tablet market, as simply running Windows 8 will probably not be enough to make it stand out, if sales of Win7 based phones and tablets are any indicator. The pricing may appease some of Microsoft's clients such as Acer, who were more than a little upset at Microsoft's announcement that they were getting into hardware instead of simply licensing manufacturers to use the Win8 OS and branding.
Apparently there is a way to get both a Surface Tablet and a Win8 phone on the cheap, Microsoft will be handing out one of each to all of its full time employees.
"200 Microsoft dollars"
"BOUNCY MICROSOFT CEO Steve Ballmer has refused to put a price on the Windows Surface tablet and has only given a ballpark figure of somewhere between £200 and £500.
What this means is that a Windows Surface tablet will cost more than an Android tablet, such as the Asus Nexus 7 for example, but less than an Ipad."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- The TR Podcast 119: GTX 660, Haswell, Sleeping Dogs and iPhone 5
- IDF 2012: Intel Wireless Charging Technology @ Legit Reviews
- IDF 2012: The Intel Next Unit of Computing - NUC @ Legit Reviews
- Intel told Seamicro CEO that Atom servers were not possible @ The Inquirer
- Hynix shows off DDR4 DIMMs and 1xnm flash @ SemiAccurate
- Help create a universal ARM programmer @ Hack a Day
- MTE M3-2I Tactical LED Flashlight Review @ ModSynergy
- Devolo dLAN 500 AVPlus Starter Kit Review @ NikKTech
- Mega SSD Giveaway Week 3 - Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SATA 3 SSD @ SSD Review
Get notified when we go live!