Subject: General Tech | January 23, 2007 - 09:20 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Storm Worm made an appearance this weekend, and it's botnet is growing quickly. With multiple versions released in a very short time, and with the ability to upgrade itself after it has infected PCs make this one look to be around for a while. CNET has more info on this Trojan that we are likely to be removing from relatives computers quite frequently in the next while.
"Over the weekend there were six subsequent waves of the attack, with each e-mail attempting to lure users into downloading an executable by promising a topical news story. There were e-mails that purported to carry news of an as-yet-unconfirmed missile test by the Chinese against one of its weather satellites, and e-mails reporting that Fidel Castro had died.
Each new wave of e-mails carried different versions of the Trojan horse, according to F-Secure. Each version also contained the capability to be updated, in an attempt to stay ahead of antivirus vendors. "
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Father of Internet Warns Against Net Neutrality @ Slashdot
- Microsoft PR Paying to "Correct" Wikipedia @ Slashdot
- Pentium 4 631 Overclocked to 8 GHz @ Slashdot
- The Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame @ ExtremeTech
- The Burning Crusade: Midnight Madness at Wal-Mart! @ ExtremeTech
- Google calculator for makers... @ MAKE:Blog
- Intel quad-core QX6600 on sale @ The Inquirer
- Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report @ The Inquirer
- Solid state drives not all they're cracked up to be @ The Inquirer
- Nvidia/Microsoft threatens LaptopVideo2Go.com over ForceWare 100.30 via NGOHQ
- Google's anti-phishing plugin leaked passwords @ Ars Technica
- CES 2007: ShowStoppers @ ThinkComputers
- HEXUS.tv :: Interview with Tony Wong, President of PC Partner
- The Future of WebOS @ OSWeekly
- PC-BSD vs. Linux Distributions: A Mega Battle @ MadPenguin
- Video Editing: From Windows To Linux @ OSWeekly
- McAfee VirusScan upgrade hobbles Lotus Notes @ CNET
- Linux and The Desperate Need for Tax Apps @ OSWeekly
- Top 8 Vista Annoyances @ Techgage
Get notified when we go live!