Shocking news! Intel is talking up Ultrabooks at CES
Subject: General Tech, Shows and Expos | January 10, 2012 - 11:50 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: CES, Intel, ultrabook, Ivy Bridge
It might be hard to believe but the form factor everyone loves to talk about is on the lips on Intel reps everywhere at CES including the GM of the PC Group, Mooly Eden. The new ultra-thin form factor introduced by Intel this follows the design theory of the Macbook Air while trying to stay a PC at heart and has been received with mixed feelings. While it is nice to have an ultra-thin, ultra-light machine which is capable of running office productivity tasks at a good level of performance the attached price tag has discouraged potential distributors and buyers alike; the under $1000 specification cannot be reached without sacrificing quality. That is in part do to the materials used to make an ultrathin laptop that is still rigid enough to stand up to normal usage and in part to the philosophy of 'instant on' which requires an SSD to be used as the main storage medium. Eden tells The Inquirer that he sees Windows 8 offering huge potential to the ultrabook thanks to its touchscreen friendly design. He describes devices similar to the ASUS Transformer, a product usable as a touch device like a tablet but with a full keyboard available for when you are doing more than just surfing the web. New Ivy Bridge internals will probably help as well, bringing increased performance and lowered power usage, though probably not doing anything good to the sticker price.
"CHIPMAKER Intel gave its attention at the CES conference to promoting the real-world benefits of ultrabooks.
The company highlighted a design and marketing effort to shift its focus from benchmarks and statistics to examples of real-world capabilities and applications that will be improved by what it hopes will become a growing ultrabook market."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- 2012 Intel CES liveblog @ Ars Technica
- With CES Sendoff, Microsoft Insists It’s Still Cool @ Wired
- Alt.CES: MAKE’s Take, 2012
- Gigabyte T1132N 3-in-1 computer unveiled at CES 2012 @ eTeknix
- TechwareLabs Event Coverage: CES2012 Monster Press Conference
- CES 2012: MSI’s Z77 Motherboards & Graphics Upgrade System @ Hardware Canucks
- Gigabyte Z77 motherboards shown off at CES @ eTeknix
- Intel demos transparent-lid hybrid PC @ The Register
- ASUS's new ROG sound cards @ CES 2012 undressed @ VR-Zone
- CES 2012 Day 0 - Press Day - MSI Thermaltake and nVidia @ Ninjalane
- CES 2012 Coverage Of Thermaltake and Gigabyte Posted @ Legit Reviews
- What's New in Linux 3.2? @ Linux.com
- OpenGL 3.0 Finally Comes To Open-Source @ Phoronix
- Asustek announces revenues for 2011; conservative about 1Q12 performance @ DigiTimes
PC Perspective's CES 2012 coverage is sponsored by MSI Computer.
Follow all of our coverage of the show at http://pcper.com/ces!
Get notified when we go live!