Rumour has it Microsoft's Surface will be $200
Subject: General Tech | August 15, 2012 - 05:27 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: rumour, microsoft, arm, surface
With yesterdays announcement that Asus, Dell, Lenovo and Samsung will all be releasing ARM based WinRT systems, the rumour we are hearing from The Register today is very interesting. If indeed the ARM powered Surface will be selling for $200 it would be less than half of the price analysts predicted it would arrive at. That Acer is not on that list of manufacturers lends credence to their CEO's statement that the $200 Surface will have a negative impact on current tablet vendors. On the other hand, if it turns out that a reasonably functional and sturdy ARM based tablet/laptop can be designed and sold for $200 then it will be a definite win for the consumer and compete with Google's new tablet as well as certain high end eReaders.
"If the latest Redmond rumors are to be believed, Microsoft's ARM-based Surface tablet models could arrive priced as low as $199, positioning them as heavyweights in the burgeoning low-cost tablet category."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Adobe Officially Kills New Flash Installations On Android @ Slashdot
- Microsoft redesigns Skydrive and announces an Android app @ The Inquirer
- Sapphire 6GB 7970 Toxic cards have NOT been cancelled @ Kitguru
- RIM: We can't flog phones, would you like our nuke plant OS instead? @ The Register
- Ninjalane Podcast Episode 20