Podcast #270 - AMDs new GPU lineup, SteamOS, the Steam Box, and more!

Subject: General Tech | September 26, 2013 - 11:41 AM |
Tagged: video, valve, SteamOS, Steam Box, steam, razer, R9 290X, R9, R7, podcast, Naga, corsair, amd

PC Perspective Podcast #270 - 09/26/2013

Join us this week as we discuss AMDs new GPU lineup, SteamOS, the Steam Box, and more!

You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.

The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!

• iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store
  • RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
  • MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file

Hosts: Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath, Allyn Malventano, and Morry Teitelman

Program length: 57:42
  1. Week in Review:
  2. Hardware/Software Picks of the Week:
    1. Ryan: A pair of coconuts supporting a beautiful
    2. Jeremy: Portable OS
    3. Allyn: Remote Mouse
    4. Morry: AT&T U-Verse
  3. 1-888-38-PCPER or podcast@pcper.com
  4. Closing/outro

September 26, 2013 | 01:58 PM - Posted by Alex Antonio (not verified)

I bet AMD wants to give out a few of these brand new spankys as a prize...??

I volunteer to beta test the best one. :)

September 26, 2013 | 03:31 PM - Posted by Dante Freeman (not verified)

There's a difference between Java and Javascript (and hence JQuery). I think the article is talking about Java and programs that run it, rather than websites that utilize JQuery.

September 26, 2013 | 04:01 PM - Posted by pdjblum

No doubt ssd prices have dropped dramatically over the years, but not so much over the last year or so. For some of us, close to a $1.00/GB is still too high for a storage drive. Allyn, you keep calling anything below $1.00 cheap. Well the nand they are using to get there is certainly cheap, especially the triple cell crap. But these drives are still not cheap for many of us. I have used nothing but ssd's for my builds since the first Samsung drive was available on eWiz, when it was called eWiz, so I am a major fan of ssd's. But I still find them too expensive for storage. I feel as if this is kind of the case of throwing the frog in cold water and warming it up slowly; that is, we have been lulled into thinking the present pricing is cheap, when it is still a luxury item. I am not saying they should reach parity with hard drives, but the premium per gig is still huge.

September 26, 2013 | 04:08 PM - Posted by Whaaat (not verified)

So AMD have their biggest event of the year and you devote less than 15 minutes to it on the podcast? disgusting.

September 26, 2013 | 07:18 PM - Posted by Josh Walrath

Next week will be the big discussion of AMD's Tech Day, since that is when Ryan will be back and we have more content coming out through this week that goes over the news and meetings.  I didn't even get my Mantle article out until after we recorded the podcast.  Patience, son!

September 26, 2013 | 07:26 PM - Posted by Whaaat (not verified)

Okay, I appreciate your candor and look forward to a meaty AMD podcast next week.

September 26, 2013 | 05:53 PM - Posted by HyperMinimal (not verified)

Ryan Shrout! Who the hell is that guy in your place?!?!?! hahahaha

September 26, 2013 | 10:58 PM - Posted by snook

JOSHTECH.

maybe a graphics victory, if it ends up being one, will bolster the CPU side of AMD. I'm for the underdog, giant slayer type.

September 27, 2013 | 05:46 AM - Posted by BiggieShady

About java and JavaScript, there is a huge diff... oh wait, somebody already noticed.

September 27, 2013 | 12:06 PM - Posted by Gregster

I guess Ryan was jet setting on the back handers from nVidia ;) Only joking and another enjoyable podcast cheers. I do look forward to the specs of the 290X to be released and more on mantles potential (other devs interested maybe?/Will nVidia respond with their own api?/will OpenGL give more performance with more funding?)