Podcast #228 - Intel Socket Controversy, a new OCZ SSD, GPU-less Ivy Bridge and more!

Subject: General Tech | November 29, 2012 - 02:20 PM |
Tagged: vector, ssd, socket, podcast, ocz, LGA, layoffs, Intel, Indilinx, BGA, amd, 3550p

PC Perspective Podcast #228 - 11/29/2012

Join us this week as we talk about Intel Socket Controversy, a new OCZ SSD, GPU-less Ivy Bridge and more!

You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.

The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!

• iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store
  • RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
  • MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file

Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath, and Allyn Malventano

This Podcast is brought to you by MSI!

Program length: 1:22:57

Podcast topics of discussion:

1. 0:01:20 Never Settle Contest Part 2 is running!
  2. Week in Reviews:
    1. 0:03:00 Nintendo Wii U Teardown
    2. 0:06:00 Digital Storm Bolt Mini-ITX System
    3. 0:12:00 Dell XPS One 27 System All-in-One
    4. 0:18:10 Intel Core i5-3550P Ivy Bridge CPU
    5. 0:27:15 LEPA Gold Series 750 watt PSU
    6. 0:29:00 OCZ Vector 256GB Indilinx Barefoot 3 SSD
  3. 0:40:30 This Podcast is brought to you by MSI!
  4. News items of interest:
    1. 0:41:30 Intel Broadwell goes BGA Only; Desktop is dead?
    2. 0:56:00 More AMD Layoffs coming?
    3. 0:58:45 Intel CEO is leaving too
      3. Josh: Nice monitor!
      4. Allyn: OCZ Vector
  1. 1-888-38-PCPER or podcast@pcper.com
  2. http://pcper.com/podcast
  3. http://twitter.com/ryanshrout and http://twitter.com/pcper
  4. Closing/outro

Be sure to subscribe to the PC Perspective YouTube channel!!

November 29, 2012 | 04:19 PM - Posted by billb79

Oh please.......I could not imagine two AMD 7870's.....

November 29, 2012 | 09:28 PM - Posted by thin_man (not verified)

I was waiting for my e-mail notification to tell me that a new podcast had been uploaded from you guys but for some reason, the vid is unlisted on Youtube.... which is rather lame tbh.

November 29, 2012 | 10:11 PM - Posted by razor512

The youtube indexer cant handle the awesomeness of a new pcper podcast...

sucks that I could not seem to find any podcast from last week.

November 30, 2012 | 11:40 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

That was our bad - we fixed it!

November 30, 2012 | 11:07 AM - Posted by jonshea

Can you sign up for the give away, without signing up, on Facebook?

A lot of us geeks will never be on Facebook.

I realize you guys are in the business, and have to be on Facebook, but for me, it is just for the wife and kids.

November 30, 2012 | 11:57 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Yup!

November 30, 2012 | 02:16 PM - Posted by jonshea

I probably wasn't paying attention, but how?

November 30, 2012 | 07:25 PM - Posted by Goose_67a

Where have you boys been??? Your mother and I have been worried sick!

December 1, 2012 | 08:02 AM - Posted by orvtrebor

I'm personally OK with a soldered on CPU. It might actually help QA a bit in regards to MOBO makers.

There's nothing worse than trying to trouble shoot a faulty MOBO, I wish companies like MSI would offer that 24 hour burn in on ALL models for an additional charge.

I'd pay it just to mostly eliminate the RMA process.

If the chips were attached at the factory they would have to do some type of testing to ensure it was functional.

Upgrade wise, the only time I've ever just upgraded the CPU (only) was to go from an AIIx2 to a PIIx4. Usually you're better off with a newer MOBO anyways, esp with Intel.

If you do upgrade just the CPU all your left with now is a useless hunk of silicon sitting in a box that most people won't touch (Craig's List) because it's "used".

December 6, 2012 | 12:27 AM - Posted by Dan Lott (servicecomputer) (not verified)

The dream is not dead!!
I own a Samsung NP300E5A-A02UB laptop purchased dirt cheap. After much wheedling & a touch of social engineering, I learned from a Samsung engineer that the board inside is specced to handle an i5-2450.
After much DMI probing & inspection, my future plans include 16GB of RAM (if I can find sockets & modding it to add an esata port.