Podcast #209 - Thunderbolt on Windows, Western Digital Red Drives, a passively cooled GTX 680 and more!

Subject: General Tech | July 12, 2012 - 01:35 PM |
Tagged: WD, ThunderFX, thunderbolt, ssd, red, podcast, Intel, gtx 680, gpu, amd

PC Perspective Podcast #209 - 07/12/2012

Join us this week as we talk about Thunderbolt Performance on Windows, the new Western Digital Red Hard Drives, a passively cooled GTX 680 and more!

You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.

The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!

• iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store
  • RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
  • MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file

Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath and Allyn Malvantano

This Podcast is brought to you by MSI!

Program length: 1:15:06

Program Schedule:

1. Introduction
  2. 1-888-38-PCPER or podcast@pcper.com
  3. http://pcper.com/podcast
  4. http://twitter.com/ryanshrout and http://twitter.com/pcper
  5. Quakecon - we need Tshirt ideas!!
  6. 00:05:45 Thunderbolt Performance on Windows with ASUS P8Z77-V Premium
  7. 00:17 Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 Motherboard Review
  8. 00:18:30 AMD, Vishera and Beyond!
  9. 00:26:45 HP Envy 14 Spectre Review
  10. 00:28:30 Western Digital Red 3TB NAS HDD Review
  11. 00:41:51 This Podcast is brought to you by MSI!
  12. 00:42:45 Passively cooled GTX 680 anyone?
  13. 00:45:45 Windows 8 Pro will run you $39
  14. 00:50:00 Overclocking makes your system less stable...duhhh
  15. 00:57:00 ASUS and Gigabyte raise warranty times
  16. 00:58:30 Mid-range Kepler rumors
  17. 01:03:03 Hardware / Software Pick of the Week
    1. Ryan: ThunderboltEX from ASUS
    2. Jeremy: I like this Lenovo X220 work stuck me with
    3. Josh: Like I need another time sink
    4. Allyn: WD Red
  18. 1-888-38-PCPER or podcast@pcper.com
  19. http://pcper.com/podcast
  20. http://twitter.com/ryanshrout and http://twitter.com/pcper
  21. Closing

​For those of you that prefer the video version, see below:

July 12, 2012 | 02:03 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The RSS link is a 404.

July 12, 2012 | 02:23 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Mp3 link takes me to podcast 208.

July 12, 2012 | 04:18 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Fixed!

July 12, 2012 | 06:12 PM - Posted by midagedgamerguy (dudz_fryd) (not verified)

I guess the "more" part was the screeching cats....lol

July 12, 2012 | 07:27 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Ryan, I still use my ZuneHD and your damn awesome podcast is empty on Zune market place. I am sad and upset. I like listening to you all make fun of Josh. And I must say keep it up. Well good news is that This Week In Computer Hardware is still coming to me.

July 12, 2012 | 11:08 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

It downloads to my Zune every week...??

July 12, 2012 | 09:00 PM - Posted by Nilbog

oops : )

July 13, 2012 | 04:19 AM - Posted by adfairless (not verified)

RSS feed not working still on Android Beyond POD. Says feed has no content.

July 13, 2012 | 05:05 AM - Posted by Mark Lange (not verified)

Zune software displays a download error for the podcast feed stating the feed is not formatted correctly and gives the error code C00D1312. This from the marketplace and adding the RSS feed manually to the software.

July 13, 2012 | 08:59 AM - Posted by Neal bax (not verified)

I can comfirm there seems to be a problem with the rss feed for people using
Android Beyond POD :(

July 13, 2012 | 09:04 AM - Posted by Will (not verified)

Zune is telling me the podcast is in an unsupported format and will not allow me to download. :(

July 13, 2012 | 09:15 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

How about now?  I found a missing "<" in the RSS file...

July 13, 2012 | 10:11 AM - Posted by Will (not verified)

Trying from my WP7 via marketplace giving me.

Problem completing your request, try again later.

Error Code: 80320015

July 13, 2012 | 05:19 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hi Ryan, is there a reason the link isn't up on your main website???

July 13, 2012 | 05:26 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Sorry Ryan, by link I mean embedded video...

July 13, 2012 | 11:02 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

It's up there now ;)

July 14, 2012 | 12:11 PM - Posted by John H (not verified)

Hey Allyn, I heard the comments about red vs green WD drives on when to use them.. (really Red is better in general, but Green OK for single drives)..

Would you still use definitely recommend Red or "NAS style drives" in RAID 10?

After a few RAID 5 failures over the years here, I've learned the Ryan-way .. that 10>5 :). (Currently using older WD 1 TB drives that allow TLER to be manually set.. in RAID 10)

July 16, 2012 | 01:07 AM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

Yes, I recommend them for RAID-10. Basically any configuration where there is a rebuild process involved in recovery. I'd only recommend Green's for individual or RAID-0, but RAID-0 with HDD's is a bit of a deathwish as you're multiplying the failure possibility as you add drives.

July 19, 2012 | 04:31 AM - Posted by David (not verified)

I liked the comment halfway through - 'If you're watching the video version, er, trust me - something magical happened on the audio version.'

Not too sure that an advert recorded on a 'phone counts as something magical...unless the 'phone was an iPhone, of course ;-)