Oculus VR becomes John Carmack's top priority
Subject: General Tech | August 7, 2013 - 12:40 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: oculus vr, john carmack, id software
He will remain a contributing coder for Armadillo Aerospace and he will not be leaving Id Software but John Carmack will now be spending most of his time as the CTO of Oculus VR. He has been instrumental in the design of the Oculus Rift since the very beginning and has been a major force in the development of virtual reality for decades. This move should help the development of Oculus' products accelerate and become even more impressive than the development model that Ken and Ryan had a chance to try. Even if this slows down the development of the next instalment of Quake or Doom, many would say it was as small sacrifice when you consider the promise which Oculus holds for the future of displays. Catch the fallout in the comments at Slashdot and catch our coverage of his keynote from Quakecon right here.
"In a surprising move that in retrospect makes a lot of sense, Oculus VR has announced that John Carmack will be joining the company full-time as CTO. Carmack also tweeted that his time division would be 'Oculus over Id over Armadillo. Busy busy busy!'"
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- IBM opens up Power chips, ARM-style, to take on Chipzilla @ The Register
- Seagate goes back to ASICs, slurps upstart's brains in return for cash @ The Register
- Extreme Ultraviolet Chip Manufacturing Process Technology Closer To Reality @ Slashdot
- Qualcomm to switch 28nm HKMG wafer orders from TSMC to Globalfoundries, say sources @ DigiTimes
- How-To: Restore Your Windows 8 PC @ TechReviewSource
- Interview with Antec @ Funky Kit
- Diamond Multimedia WR300NSI Wireless-N Repeater @ Benchmark Reviews
- Camera Lens Buying Guide @ TechARP