OCZ wraps both its ARMs around a new SSD controller and gives it a little TLC
Subject: General Tech | July 26, 2011 - 12:03 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: ssd, ocz, arm, tlc, sata 6Gps, Indilinx Everest
OCZ is never satisfied with the performance of their SSDs in general and their controllers specifically. After purchasing Indilinx to ensure that their controllers would be of high quality and designed to OCZ's specific needs, they've now been pushing Indilinx to improve on their controllers. That has lead to Everest, which has a dual core ARM processor and 400MHz DDR3 cache that can support up to 512MB. The controller is optimized for 8K writes which is perfect for the current flash utilized in SSDs. OCZ has also optimized the flash memory, developing Triple Level Cell (TLC) which has three layers as opposed to MLC which sports two. The controller will be backwards compatible, which is a good idea if OCZ wants to license the controller to other manufacturers, which makes sense as Everest should hit 200MT/s as compared to SandForce's current 166MT/s. There is more that this controller can do, click on over to The Register to read about it.
"OCZ is sampling a new flash controller that gives a picture of future solid state drives.
The company bought Indilinx for its solid state drive (SSD) controller technology in March this year and has now unveiled the Indilinx Everest controller platform.
It has a 6Gbit/s SATA III interface, a dual-core ARM processor and a number of enticing features, such as 3-bit multi-level cell (MLC) support. This is going to be called TLC, for triple-level cell, to distinguish it from today's MLC, which is 2-bit MLC."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Intel says it competes with Qualcomm not ARM @ The Inquirer
- Mozilla is developing a mobile operating system @ The Inquirer
- Running high-performance neural networks on a "gamer" GPU @ Ars Technica
- The Isostick @ Hack a Day
- Lawn warfare: Light Strike brings laser tag back home @ Ars Technica
- JMicron develops SATA 6Gbps controller IC for SSDs @ DigiTimes
- The TR Podcast 92: Fusion, the cloud, and dongles galore
- Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Review @ TechReviewSource
- Real World Labs And A.C.Ryan Joint Contest