OCZ Technology is dead; long live OCZ Storage Solutions!
Subject: General Tech | January 22, 2014 - 01:50 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: ocz, toshiba
Toshiba's acquisition of OCZ has been completed though for many consumers it will not be noticeable as they will retain the OCZ brand name for their storage products. From what can be inferred from DigiTimes coverage here there will be little change in OCZ's structure and branding, the changes will be behind the scenes and will hopefully lead to a much more profitable company. As you can see from Al's review, the internals of the new OCZ drives will use Toshiba's flash to provide storage but will keep the familiar Indilinx Barefoot controller. One can only hope Toshiba can continue to provide some of OCZ's previous purchase incentives.
"Toshiba has finalized the purchase of all assets of OCZ Technology, making it a wholly-owned subsidiary. Effective immediately, the subsidiary will operate independently as OCZ Storage Solutions specializing in high-performance solid state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Players, insert coin: PlayStation 4, Xbox One top up AMD's coffers @ The Register
- AMD to launch FS1B processors in February, say motherboard makers @ DigiTimes
- IBM trudges onward despite hardware weight around its neck @ The Register
- The Android Experiment: Meet the gang @ The Inquirer
- And the winner of the most reliable disk drive award is ... @ The Register
- FUNC Shows Off Complete Gaming Line at CES 2014 @ Benchmark Reviews
- Flir E6 Thermal Infrared Camera Review @ TechwareLabs