No mutants allowed!
Subject: General Tech | June 4, 2008 - 01:37 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
FarCry 2 already has two things going for it, no mutants and no aliens. The game really doesn't have anything to do with FarCry at all, apart from dropping you into a lush sandbox, giving you guns and a mission and then sitting back and letting you do whatever you want to complete the mission. It is a little early to tell, but the lack of mutants may help make the latter parts of the game actually fun, as opposed to the exercise in frustration that the last few levels of FarCry became. Check out the screens and tidbits of information at bit-tech.
"Now admittedly we were a little disappointed that our plan to incinerate the ramshackle huts had failed so early on and that we
had had to fall back and rely on Warren’s help, but the process actually helped to prove how great Far Cry 2 is when it comes to
providing an emergent experience and an arena for players to experiment in and create their own stories.
This, if anything, would seem to be Far Cry 2's speciality – it just refuses to be consistent in any aspect of the game design.
There are a few hard and fast rules which make the game world consistent with how we think the world should be – wind that blows,
fire that spreads, wood that splinters – but that’s about it. The rest of the game is different every time you play it because the
details are always changing.
Put simply, when it’s the case that the direction that the wind is blowing in can change your entire approach to a mission then
you know you’re in for a hugely open and vastly replayable gaming experience.
Far Cry 2 may yet have problems we haven’t uncovered and granted that a single mission is no basis on which to judge an entire
unreleased game – but if we were so foolish as to do judge in that way then Far Cry 2 is one game that we’d definitely get very
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Far Cry 2 Gameplay Demo, Technical demo, Screenshots and
Fact Sheet @ Hardware Secrets
- Play WoW for Free with WoWscape @ OCModShop
- Icrontic's Guide to being a TF2 Pyro
- Assassin's Creed - First DX10.1 Title? @
- Overclocked: A History of Violence @ Tweaktown
- Assassin's Creed @ AnandTech
United Forever @ Tweaktown
- Indiana Jones and the KotCS Review @ OCModShop
- The memories of our future:
Steampunk in gaming @ Ars Technica
- Dumbing Up Gaming @ bit-tech
- Boom Blox (Wii) @ bit-tech
- Grand Theft Auto 4 @ Gamepyre
- Grand Theft Auto IV COMPLETE WALKTHROUGH! @
- Haze Review (Playstation 3) @ [OC]ModShop
- Mario Kart Wii - Wii @ Gamepyre
- Mario Kart Wii @ AnandTech