New Ubuntu 13.04 Release Upgrades Unity, Ditches Wubi, and Updates Applications

Subject: General Tech | April 30, 2013 - 09:57 AM |
Tagged: wubi, Unity, ubuntu 13.04, ubuntu, openstack, linux, canonical

Canonical released its the Ubuntu 13.04 “Raring Ringtail” Linux distribution earlier this week. The updated operating system incorporates a new Linux kernel, newer pre-installed applications, and a tweaked Unity desktop environment. Enterprise and server users also have updated server software stacks to look forward to, including the latest juju and OpenStack (Grizzly) releases.

Ubuntu 13.04 continues in the direction of convergence set in motion by Canonical and its founder Mark Shuttleworth. It is the first step towards Ubuntu running on many types of devices (including mobile) as it includes an updated Unity interface. The 13.04 release still uses the X window system, but Canonical has made tweaks to Unity and is offering up an optional download of the new Mir display backend that users can install. Mir is the display server that Ubuntu will be switching to with its next LTS release and that will reportedly enable a cross-platform Ubuntu/Unity experience. The Unity tweaks include disabling Workspaces and the “show desktop” button on the desktop (though they can be re-enabled in settings). There have also been tweaks to Ubuntu’s Dash UI, including a typo-tolerant search function and new result sorting options. It will not be until the next release that users will really start to see Ubuntu’s plans of convergence come together (heh), but even with the small changes present in 13.04, the traditional desktop OS is making considerations for mobile devices.

While the visual changes are minimal on Ubuntu 13.04 compared to 12.10, the new release does update a lot of the underlying software.At least on the outside, Ubuntu 13.04 has not changed much from its 12.10 predecessor. Ubuntu 13.04 is based on the upstream 3.8.8 Linux kernel, and incorporates a number of updates to the pre-installed applications and core software. The updates include Unity 7, LibreOffice 4, and Python 3.3 (future versions of Ubuntu will remove Python 2 completely, though it will still be available as a downloadable package). Gwibber has also been replaced with a new service called “Friends” that takes all of your social networking accounts and combines them under your Ubuntu Online account.

Additionally, Ubuntu 13.04 also no longer includes the Wubi installer, which allowed users to install Ubuntu as a program within Windows and got around the need to mess with partitioning. Although there was a bit of overhead in doing the install this way, it was noticeably easier for new users than other methods. Canonical suggests that users interested in trying out the new operating system should simply use the live media, but installing it in a VM such as VirtualBox or VMWare may be more appropriate as some of the functionality is missing from the Live DVD environment in my experience (at least if you also want to try out functionality or other Linux software that would require a restart). Canonical has also cut the support time in half for Ubuntu 13.04 (and all future interim releases) from 18 months to 9 months. Hopefully the development team puts the reduced support workload to good use by investing the time in quick and stable releases.

So far, Ubuntu 13.04 has been getting positive reviews, though some users have run into issues running the operating system on their particular hardware (a bit of instability is expected with a new release, however).

If you are interested in Ubuntu 13.04 “Raring Ringtail,” you can read more about the changes in the official release notes and grab a download of the OS from the Ubuntu website or the updater if you are currently running Ubuntu 12.10.

Source: Ubuntu
April 30, 2013 | 02:38 PM - Posted by WWNSX

WUBI is still there

I've download the ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64.iso for my system when it was released on 4-25-2013 and today on 4-30-2013 and WUBI is still there.

I tried running it off a burned copy and off a mounted ISO and it still runs on windows 7 64bit Ultimate. I didn't go as far as trying to do a full install since I need to redo my ubuntu partition.

The WUBI.exe is still downloadable from their website when you click on the Ubuntu website link you have provide.

if you look at the Windows installer page you'll see that it 404's

April 30, 2013 | 03:27 PM - Posted by anjaneya (not verified)

I have upgraded my Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04. After the upgrade the existing users are not working. Not able to login using any old user. Only guest login is possible. How to resolve this issue? How can I login using my existing users?

April 30, 2013 | 03:42 PM - Posted by Allen (not verified)

Believe it or not, but this is a driver issue. once you are at logon screen, press ctrl+alt+f1. This will stop your x session. enter in an existing username and password. Once logged in type startx.

May 1, 2013 | 12:23 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

Thanks for the tip Allen, hopefully an update comes out soon to fix it! Do you have to keep doing this at each login?

May 2, 2013 | 07:06 PM - Posted by Alvin Mites (not verified)

If you have a Nvidia video card using proprietary drivers then you'll likely need to re-install them to fix this.

hold shift at first boot to open grub, select alternate boot, mount file systems (enable networking), navigate to & run the nvidia installer -- it will complain about there being a version just say yes to uninstall

after running the nvidia-config and rebooting should be fixed

I've run into this same issue with each update to the linux kernel

April 30, 2013 | 05:51 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I like the spirit of Linux but it's never going to be widely adopted.

It will always be a niche OS unless it can go directly toe to toe with the software needs out of the box for the majority of non technical people.

Also, having to STILL do command line like calls in 2013 ENSURES this will be a niche product.

Linux, you want to survive? STOP catering to fucking nerds and wake the fuck up and cater to the masses.

Your shit has to work out of the box, including drivers, games, productivity, etc.

While I despise having to pay $100+ for Windows, you can at least know for sure that pretty much every type of software will run on it.

April 30, 2013 | 08:39 PM - Posted by t0dd (not verified)

Mine works right out of the box.

Also many of us, prefer the speed and ease of using a terminal over a GUI, that's why we use it. Granted Linux won't compete with the mainstream, nor should it. Linux provides a unix like environment optimal for developers & computer scientitsts to learn their craft. (Most universities use it for their CS programs)

It is a powerful tool in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Good luck with Windows 8.

May 2, 2013 | 06:22 AM - Posted by Bugs Fire (not verified)

Trolling is ugly, repulsive and disgusting. That's all I have to say.

May 2, 2013 | 11:31 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

What the fuck are you talking about? I have been a Linux user since switching from XP after a life on Windows. Back then, most things just worked in Linux. Now more than ever, most things just work. I use the command line regularly, but it's typically because I *want* to; I'd rather download a file using wget and preserve timestamps than use a less-reliable web browser, and it's far easier, faster and more convenient to install a package with a simple command than it is to fire up a complete package manager. That's not to say that a graphical web browser or package manager GUI couldn't do the jobs also, without ever touching the CLI.

Last I checked, Windows did not offer an office suite right on the install disc, and Microsoft's own will cost you even more $$$. Last I checked, WMP blew, you still had to download something else for audio and video. Its image viewer is pitiful. And does it even support PDF by default? Last I checked, you need Metro for that--or to download a "real" Windows PDF viewer. But that's fine, while you're dicking around with Notepad and have to download something like metapad just for a decent text editor, no matter which desktop environment I choose--KDE, GNOME, MATE, Xfce, Lxde, etc.--I'll have a far more capable GUI text editor. And the entire LibreOffice suite on top of that.

May 2, 2013 | 02:34 PM - Posted by bingo (not verified)

mine works better than your out of the box os,games drivers,and every type of software runs on mine unless its crappy

May 2, 2013 | 02:54 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The brand new Windows 8 laptop I bought would not boot. That is until I installed Ubuntu on it. This seems to be a common Windows 8 issue with Asus.

Linux supports more devices than any other operating system ever created. Try installing Windows 8 on a giant HP blade server and have all the features work, now try it on an old laptop from 1994. Now try the same with any modern Linux distro.

May 4, 2013 | 11:35 AM - Posted by frodowiz (not verified)

your post is a good example of irrelevance. linux will never get adopted? every user who reafs that is shaking their head. I ditched windowd 6 years ago. my mother, 5. ask ubuntu is swarming with good windows folk who are adopting linux. you would gain more relavence if you woke up, and avoided repeating posts found in 1990's newsgroups

May 7, 2013 | 05:05 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Oh look a bunch of replies from nerds and power users defending their os.

Take the average person and put them in front of an ubuntu box and watch them get totally lost.

Ask an average person to install a new router or printer snd watch them drown.

Ask the average gamer to load their AAA titles and watch them throw you the finger.

So you nerds keep lying to yourself. You are by far the minority.

July 17, 2013 | 09:37 PM - Posted by Lagerbaer (not verified)

Now take an average person that grew up on "normal" windows versions and put them in front of a Windows 8 box and watch them get totally lost.

August 3, 2013 | 11:01 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

HAVE YOU ****ING HEARD OF LINUX MINT?

April 30, 2013 | 06:29 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"...So far, Ubuntu 13.04 has been getting positive reviews,.."

What universe have you just arrived from?
NEVER MIND!: I NOW HAVE THE ANSWER--

In the lower right-hand corner of the page it clearly states

"SOURCE: UBUNTU"

Now we know,

May 1, 2013 | 12:33 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

hehe, not quite :).

The reviews I read basically said that it wasn't any worse that previous versions. It's nothing spectacular and there aren't any major updates over 12.10 but it does work. Reviewers seemed to be okay with it, though they weren't impressed.

May 1, 2013 | 05:56 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm really annoyed by the fact that Ubuntu installs a number of packages that I have never needed when I upgrade the distro. What's the point installing Libre Office for example if I've uninstalled it and I can use Google Drive as well?

Rhythmbox - no thanks. I use VLC.
Evince - no thanks. I use Adobe Reader or Google Chrome PDF reader.
Firefox - no thanks. I use Chrome even if you hate me because of that.
Thunderbird - no thanks. Never needed an email client.
The list is endless....

May 1, 2013 | 06:01 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

...and the last thing I want to see is any kind of chat program like Pidgin or a Facebook notification plugin - IT'S COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND WHY I'M FORCED TO UNINSTALL SUCH A GODDAMN CRAP EVERYTIME I'VE MADE A DISTRO UPGRADE.

The only chat program that should be included in every Ubuntu distro is Skype and it's the FACT NOT AN OPINION.

Mark Shuttleworth - it's time to use the brains, ok?

May 1, 2013 | 08:08 AM - Posted by Travis (not verified)

I love using Linux, especially Ubuntu.... but I have to agree with what you've here. When I do an upgrade, I expect an upgrade, not a reinstall/upgrade blend.

If I have previously removed a program, that program should not be reinstalled during an upgrade, only what I have plus the underlying OS requirements should be upgraded.

PLUS.... If I have added applications, it would be nice if an upgrade of the OS would search out new updates to those applications if required for the new OS update.

Upgrade means upgrade, not upgrade+add, period.

May 3, 2013 | 07:21 AM - Posted by Guillatine (not verified)

Are you serious. Ubuntu distro is the pop culture linux. By its name alone, one can derive that it wants to be the linux of choice for the masses. Mint wants to bridge a Windows like experience, Ubuntu wants Unity..

Maybe you tools should find a new distro that is less streamlined and not a vehicle for open source acceptance. Or be bold and use synaptic to update what you need.

May 1, 2013 | 10:44 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It seems that Ubuntu is picking up the pace but unfortunately the competitors are quite ahead.But on the other hand considering its a free of cost operating system, what do you aspect!.nevertheless what ever canonical has done should be appreciated without a doubt.

May 1, 2013 | 02:24 PM - Posted by Heldeman (not verified)

I like the Ubuntu Unity. I have used Windows since 1995 up to Windows 8. This is the way to go to a touch system for all devices and without Unity, you would never really get there. Some people always moan and groan but they keep on using it. Just install anothes os and the be happy.

May 1, 2013 | 09:13 PM - Posted by Adam (not verified)

I've been using Ubuntu for quite some time now, and after dealing with the timing and other issues of the dash, I am very excited about the improvements that 13.04 brings. Instead of stacking more features on top of an already somewhat unstable system, they fixed a lot of the problems I was experiencing. Unity, for example, runs at least twice as fast on my machines as it did before.

I honestly don't like the removal of the virtual desktops. Other decisions have been made that require power users to do a little work before their machines are fine-tuned to their preferences. However, Ubuntu isn't a power user OS. It's meant for the masses.

As with all computer-related discussions, articles like this one always attract the religious zealots who are dying for the chance to show the world how ignorant and one-sided they are. Take it from a REAL Ubuntu (power) user: Ubuntu 13.04 is a big step in the right direction, and I recommend it for anyone who is new to Linux or who is willing to take the time to learn their way around the desktop. I, for one, have learned a few tricks that allow me to be several times faster in my work as a developer in Ubuntu Unity than in any other environment.

May 1, 2013 | 10:31 PM - Posted by Gabb (not verified)

I've made the upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 as advised but the software update, and to my surprise, things that worked very well before are destroied now, like Microsoft did with Win8.

Workspaces is gone, Nautilus is cripled, most of its functions are gone, VMWare doesn't work no more, all kinds of errors. I am not sure if we're going forward or backward with functionality here.

I had to wipe out the partition and reinstal 12.10 to get my programs back and running....

May 2, 2013 | 02:48 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

I completely agree that disabling Workspaces is stupid--it's one of Linux's more-useful features! You can re-enable it in options for now at least..

May 2, 2013 | 08:58 AM - Posted by spbonus (not verified)

If the "auto upgrade" is causing you issues, you might want to do a fresh install. I had some issues after the upgrade and a fresh install solved those issues.

May 2, 2013 | 03:08 PM - Posted by Frank32 (not verified)

Hi can anyone tell me if this installation guide is fine for me? http://draalin.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-desktop-13-04-raring-ringtail/

I haven't used ubuntu before :/

May 2, 2013 | 10:59 PM - Posted by Dave Gronbach (not verified)

I'm skiddish about doing an "in place" upgrade without first doing some sort of a ddrescue or ghost image backup. It's probably ok to do, but if you don't mind, I will do a full recoverable backup first (which I should be doing anyway, right? :-) )

I had previously hung on to 10.10 for a long while. After doing a full image backup AND a separate copy/paste data backup, I went through the step up process of upgrading 10.10 to 12.10, one release at a time.

Somewhere in the 11x upgrades, all of my apps disappeared and I had to install everything from scratch. I recovered my ghost image, (for which I had to fix the boot sector from the boot cd before it would work), to bring it back to 10.10. Then I wrote down all my apps and proceeded to do the step upgrade path again.

Apps which were previously installed that I had to reinstall included things like Skype, and Firefox. Other apps, like some games I had downloaded I just decided I didn't need anymore.

While I like all my upgrades and reinstalls to go smoothly, I really don't mind it so much if I have to get out my hammer once in a while and whack my install back in place. Ubuntu's worst mistakes are better than Microsoft's greatest improvements. Problems make me a better systems administrator, even if they make me an angrier person at the end of a long day LOL.