New Beta NVIDIA GeForce Drivers for Tomb Raider

Subject: General Tech | March 16, 2013 - 08:36 PM |
Tagged: nvidia, tomb raider

The last month has been good to PC gamers: from Starcraft, to SimCity, to Tomb Raider, all with the promise of Bioshock Infinite just around the corner. We are being dog piled by one bulky release after another... most of which we are theoretically able to play.

Of course this is a call to action for GPU driver engineers. The software required to make your video card run is extremely complex with graphics instructions being compiled and interpreted at runtime for routinely shifting architectures. Performance increases are often measured in the double digit percentages albeit for some set "X" of components in some set "Y" of games.

GeForce 314.14 beta drivers launched early in the month with decent performance increases particularly for setups with SLi-paired 680s. Tomb Raider fans found themselves quite a bit left out with the reboot of the franchise doing everything but rebooting their PCs with NVIDIA and Intel hardware.

Now, two weeks later, NVIDIA has released yet another beta driver, dubbed 314.21, aimed squarely at Tomb Raider. Performance increases are claimed to be an average 45% higher than previous versions with some configurations seeing upwards of 60% increases in performance. The delay was allegedly caused by the hardware developer not receiving the game code with enough time before launch to create the updates.

If you are a Tomb Raider, check out the drivers at NVIDIA's website.

Source: NVIDIA
March 17, 2013 | 12:31 AM - Posted by arbiter

that is some major boost, considering short time they had to do this while being LEFT out of the final game code til after it was launched. Wonder if AMD might had a say in that just to give boost to their cards. wouldn't shock me for a company to do anything to get an edge even if short lived.

March 17, 2013 | 02:44 AM - Posted by Cougar (not verified)

On a Gt555m this driver makes no difference to the in game benchmark for tomb raider when compared to the beta 313.96. Also I found the new driver seems to have reduced the framework very slightly in crysis 3. I've rolled back for now.

March 17, 2013 | 04:17 AM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

Tomb Raider is total garbage anyway.

It boggles my mind how anyone can enjoy that game.

I have not tested these drivers on my 680 SLi but I rarely game so you can guess.

March 17, 2013 | 06:50 PM - Posted by Daniel Masterson (not verified)

You sir are a troll and an idiot. "I hardly game but this is garbage" wah wah. Get real man.

March 17, 2013 | 08:29 PM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

You are a fucking idiot.

I watched the fucker play this shitty game a whole night and it was nothing more than a GO GO RUN RUN FALL DOWN THE SKYFALL LA LA LA!

It was one of the shittiest games I've ever seen.

So because I don't game MUCH, I shouldn't understand about games? YOU ARE THE IDIOT you dumb shit.

I've registered over 5000 hours in CS:S back in the day and understand about games FAR more than you do.

I regularly play hardcore, fast-paced Quakeworld games such as Painkiller or Cube or HL2 DM Pro.

March 17, 2013 | 09:07 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Whooooa people. That escalated quickly...

March 18, 2013 | 01:09 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Hey Johnny Boy, take a freaking chill pill.

March 19, 2013 | 12:13 AM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

I'm just as old as you are, fucker.

I'd much rather watch 3DGameMan rather than watching you.

You're the WORST marketer I've ever seen in my life.

March 19, 2013 | 12:48 AM - Posted by razor512

Seems like someone needs a dog.

March 19, 2013 | 01:27 AM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

I really do TBH. :)

March 18, 2013 | 07:37 PM - Posted by Daniel Masterson (not verified)

Hahaha ya that was hilarious and fun to watch.

March 19, 2013 | 02:21 AM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

Should we start with the age race?

What do you think?

Tell your age and I'll tell you mine.

March 17, 2013 | 10:04 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

now tressFX runs better on nvidia ... crazy!

March 17, 2013 | 10:48 AM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

What else do you expect?

Whoever gets in line with the game makers get the best performance out of the game.

This is a money making business.

March 18, 2013 | 03:07 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

So when Nvidia is a sponsor for a game, everything is going wrong with AMD hardware. Features are removed (DX10.1) or do not work in any way (antialiasing).

When Nvidia gives you a feature (PhysX) it makes sure that it can NOT run on other hardware (AMD) and it is extremely slow on cpu. Also it punishes it's customers if they also bought a card from their competitors(lock in driver for PhysX).

AMD on the other hand haven't lock TressFX or sabotaged it on Nvidia cards. It is OPEN FOR EVERYONE. It is a GIFT for ALL gamers, no matter what card they use.

BRAVO AMD.

P.S. I have 3 Nvidia cards, G210, GT240, 560Ti.

March 20, 2013 | 07:37 PM - Posted by arbiter

ATI cards lack the hardware on them to do physx on them, was that Nvidia's fault. no its not be happy they made it run on cpu to start with. you musta forgot about FXAA which was Nvidia made which works on both cards.

March 21, 2013 | 12:33 AM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

Actually, AMD GPU doesn't lack anything to render PhysX.

It's just that PhysX is coded extensively for ONLY the Ageia PPU and the nVidia cards to render it.

If PhysX was open code, then AMD would have easily written it down for their cards.

Though, PhysX is such laggy, shitty tech it barely matters.

There're ONLY a handful of games that support it and the tech will probably DIE once the Unreal 3 Engine finally dies.

March 18, 2013 | 04:31 AM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

You're completely forgetting and dismissing the fact that AMD goes on streams on this site for their uber marketing attemps at selling products.

They are all evil. Not one of them is any better than the other.

When BullDozer first came in, AMD was doing BLIND tests over people to see whether they'd realize that their chip is faster than the Intel chip in the Intel machine or not.

Nobody gives a shit as long they everyone is paid and happy.

I have had CrossFire in the past and it was the worst piece of shit driver and hardware nightmare I have ever had in my lifetime. Back then in 2009, there was absolutely NO application profiles, so CrossFire either worked or not. Changing game .exe names sometimes did, sometimes just fucked the entire thing up. It was such a terrible experience that ever since, I have not used an AMD card on my primary machine.