Never mind the barrier, we even tessellated the water table!
Subject: General Tech | August 17, 2011 - 02:56 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: crysis 2, dx11, tessellation
The Tech Report took an indepth look at the "Enhanced, bionic Jersey barrier in DirectX 11" recently. The original Crysis is still famous for its ability to crush even the best GPUs that were available when it was originally released and its continued ability to do so at very high resolutions. Now that Crysis 2 has power slid out of it's console roots and we PC gamers received not only support for DX11 but also a high resolution texture patch which helped the game with its visual impact, it seemed worthwhile to investigate the actual changes to the process used to draw images in Crysis 2. That lead to the discovery of not only the world's most detailed concrete barriers but also the realization that whether you can see it or not, water is being rendered in painstaking detail.
A hydrologist's dream
"When we fired up Crysis 2 in its DirectX 11 "ultra" quality mode, we saw that some obvious peaks were related to the creation of tessellated objects. Not only could we see the hull shaders used in the first stage of tessellation—proof that tessellation was in use—but we were also able to see the polygon meshes output by the tessellation process. We noticed some of the same things Damien pointed out, along with a few new ones, including one of the true wonders of this game's virtual world."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Contemporary Graphics Cards in Crysis 2 DirectX 11: Crysis 2 Revisited @ X-bit Labs
- PC Age of Empires Online review: give nothing, take from them everything @ Ars Technica
- Section 8 Prejudice Review @ HardwareHeaven
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition: 3D Vision Tested on all NVIDIA GTX 500 Series Video Cards @Hi Tech Legion
- Minecraft Pocket Edition Brings Indie Game to Android @ Wired
- Serious Sam 3 PC hands-on: constant, awesome chaos @ Ars Technica
- Counter Strike back with Global Offensive @ HEXUS
- Modern Warfare 3 To Have Dedicated Servers @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- RageGage Desktop Computer Gaming Toy @ TechwareLabs
- iPhone App of the Week: Zombie Gunship @ t-break
- Catherine PlayStation 3 @ Tweaktown
Get notified when we go live!