Need For Speed: The (30fps) Run
Subject: General Tech | November 16, 2011 - 01:13 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: skyrim, need for speed, gaming, games, elder scrolls V, consolitis
[H]ard|OCP has been having a hard go of it with recent game releases. CoD Modern Warfare 3 was described as being useless for benchmarking as any mid range GPU can play at maxed settings even at high resolutions. That discovery came after the Rage incident, when benchmarked it hit 60fps and refused to move, no matter what hardware was thrown at it. Picture the expression on the reviewers face when they fired up Need For Speed: The Run expecting the Frostbite 2 engine of Battlefield 3 fame to torture their test bench only to find a similar result to Rage, except locked at 30fps.
Thankfully for the continued sanity of their review team, [H] also got hold of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to benchmark. Benchmarking this game was much more productive, especially in multi-GPU setups and it also revealed a small oddity with the games auto-detection of graphics settings.
"Need for Speed: The Run was released today, utilizing the Frostbite 2 engine, same as Battlefield 3, it should have some pretty good graphics. However, after we dove into this game this morning, we found that it falls rather flat for a PC game. We'll talk about performance and image quality in this article."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Today's mid-range GPUs in Battlefield 3 @ The Tech Report
- Contemporary Graphics Accelerators in Battlefield 3 @ X-bit Labs
- Battlefield 3 Gaming and Performance Review on NVIDIA GTX 500 Series Video Cards@Hi Tech Legion
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 @ HEXUS
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 @ Kitguru
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 @ The Inquirer
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Tested, Benchmarked @ Techspot
- RAGE the PC Game by id Software @ Benchmark Reviews
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim @ Kitguru
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim guide: how to slay your dragon @ HEXUS
- Hot PC Games for the 2011 Holidays @ Techspot
- PayDay: The Heist PC Review @ eTeknix
- Minecraft Is Finished @ Slashdot
- Patent Issue Delays Doom 3 Source Code Release @ Slashdot
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review (XBOX 360) @ HardwareHeaven
- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception PS3 @ Tweaktown
- Sega Renegade Ops @ XSReviews
- Battlefield 3 multiplayer impressions - rant included @ HEXUS
Get notified when we go live!