More fuel for the rumours that Intel is abandoning smartphones
Subject: General Tech | January 28, 2014 - 10:31 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: Intel, smartphones, edison
As part of their keynote address at CES 2014 Intel introduced Edison, a dual core x86 machine the size of an SD card. This chip will be used not for powering smartphones but for wearable technology as well as for the so called 'Internet of Things'. As it is WiFi enabled it can be accessed wirelessly to allow fridges to order food or as in the provided example, start a baby bottle warming before you arrive with your hungry child. With this new focus and the poor performance of Intel's smartphones overseas the rumours that DigiTimes are reporting on seem to be probable. Their deal with Lenovo to provide phones has ended and while they do have a current relationship with Asustek, that could end as soon as 2015. The chances of North Americans getting hold of a phone with Intel Inside seem to be diminishing.
"A rumor circulating in the upstream supply chain in Taiwan has Intel reportedly questioning whether it should quit the smartphone market in 2015 if it continues to see weak performance in its handset business in 2014, according to sources from the upstream supply chain, though Intel has not yet commented on the rumor."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Is Google building SKYNET? Ad kingpin buys AI firm DeepMind @ The Register
- AMD Kaveri's Open Radeon Performance Now Multiple Times Faster @ Phoronix
- Samsung trumps Apple by selling 86 million smartphones in the fourth quarter @ The Inquirer
- A Deep Dive Into NES Tetris @ Hack a Day
- How to Kill the Caps Lock on your Linux Desktop @ Linux.com
- Sync'n'steal: Hackers brew Android-targeting Windows malware @ The Register
- Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit @ NikKTech
- Beginners Guide: Hi-Resolution Panoramic Images with MSFT ICE @ PCSTATS
- PCSTATS TechTip - Automatically Shut Down Windows at a Certain Time @ PCSTATS
- Win a red hot prize with Gigabyte and KitGuru
Get notified when we go live!