Mass Effect 3 is Coming, Pre-Order Now and Get Battlefield 3 (PC) Free

Subject: General Tech | February 15, 2012 - 11:08 PM |
Tagged: PC, mass effect 3, gaming, game, ea, bf3, battlefield 3

Update: Apparently EA has decided to pull the deal because it was too good of an idea :(.

The final installment in the Mass Effect trilogy is almost upon us, and for those itching to get a taste of Mass Effect 3 can now go and download the Mass Effect 3 demo for the PC via EA's Origin service. The demo delivers about an hour (they claim two hours, but I finished it in about an hour and I was purposefully taking it slow to take in the scenery and such) of Shephard battling against a (spoilers ahead) Reaper invasion.

Personally, from playing the demo I'm not convinced that it is going to live up to the hype, and it seems to be rather "dumbed down" compared to the first one. With that said, it was not terrible and I will likely pick it up if only to finish out the story.  The story itself hits hard in the demo and I am excited for that aspect of the Mass Effect sequel, for example.  If you have not already done so, check out the demo that's out now.

Anyway, if you do enjoy the demo and are getting pumped for the release this March, EA is currently running a rather good deal on Origin for those willing to Pre-Order Mass Effect 3 from the Origin store. According to EA, users who place a pre-order for Mass Effect 3 through the Origin store for any platform (including digital download, boxed PC copy, Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3) before March 5, 2012 will receive a free digital PC edition of Battlefield 3 for free.  The codes for BF3 will be emailed to customers when they become available.

As always, there are some caveats:

• The offer is only valid for those in US and Canada.
  • You must pre-order through Origin and cannot be combined with any other discounts.
  • You are not eligible for the free copy if you already own Battlefield 3 on Origin.
  • The Battlefield 3 codes will be emailed no later than March 8, 2012.

That last one is a big one (for me anyway).  Considering Battlefield 3 is already released, why can't those that pre-order ME3 get instant access to it?  I was all for the deal at first as I have not yet purchased BF3 and if I could get it for free by pre-ordering a game I was likely to buy anyway it sounded like a sweet deal.  Unfortunately, not being able to jump into BF3 to hold me over until Mass Effect 3 launched makes it less awesome.  After all, once Mass Effect 3 releases, I'm not going to want to play Battlefield 3 anymore!  Considering Battlefield 3 will likely still be approximately $60 on Origin in a few months, getting it free is still a good deal, but it's less of a impulse purchase knowing I might not get the Battlefield 3 code until after I have Mass Effect 3 downloaded.

It's there if you want it though, so go download the Mass Effect 3 demo and let us know what you think of it!

Source: EA
February 16, 2012 | 07:01 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This is an awesome deal if you think about it, regardless of having to wait until the 8th.
Shame it's US/Canada only, Although I already have BF3 so I'm not that worried. I Played the ME3 demo and personally it blew me away, it's one of the very few games I pre-ordered.

February 16, 2012 | 12:33 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Damn, it seems that preorders are really low for this game if such deals have to be made.

February 16, 2012 | 02:48 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Not true. In most stores, the Collector's Editions have already sold out. This is EA's way of trying to get people to use Origin, and giving away one of you biggest games along side a highly anticipated release is an amazing way to do it.

Got me to not use Gamestop!

February 16, 2012 | 05:52 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Important Note: ME3 pre-order does not include a bonus copy of Battlefield 3

Found that on the origin page, 'cause I'm always suspicious of EA and wanted to read the fine print when I didn't see any official ads for it. For those who like to nitpick, no, I do not already have BF3. Did they give out more than they bargained for? >_>

February 16, 2012 | 06:17 PM - Posted by Carmen (not verified)

Since nobody has addressed this, and I was really worried about that statement on their website, here is my transcript with EA Help regarding the problem:

Rohit:
Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Rohit how may I help you?
you:
Hi Rohit, I am looking for clarification on the Mass Effect 3 pre-order deal. I have seen on various websites that you receive a digital copy of Battlefield 3 with a ME3 pre-order, is this true?
Rohit:
Yes, It is true . But the preOrder between 14 feb to 8 march.
you:
Okay. That's great. I was mainly curious because I have actually just pre-ordered it within the last hour but I didn't see any specific details about the Battlefield 3 part.
you:
Also, on the EA website, under the pre-order button, it is stated "Important Note: ME3 pre-order does not include a bonus copy of Battlefield 3"
Rohit:
Okay. Don't it yes, That you will the game.
you:
Do you know why the website says that?
Rohit:
This is for those customer who has BF3 already.
you:
Oh, I see. That makes sense. The statement is just not very detailed
you:
Thank you, you've answered all of my questions
Rohit:
Thank you for contacting EA. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Rohit:
If you need help with anything else, please feel free to contact us anytime!
you:

February 16, 2012 | 07:08 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

Yeah makes sense but they could definitely make that more clear/easier to read. Thanks for clarifying it for them :).

February 16, 2012 | 06:19 PM - Posted by Carmen (not verified)

So to reiterate, since my statement could still be confusing, it says that on the website because if you ALREADY have BF3 you won't get a BONUS copy, but you will get a free copy when you pre-order ME3.

February 16, 2012 | 08:10 PM - Posted by Ezekiel (not verified)

help.ea.com/article/Free-Battlefield-3-with-Mass-Effect-3-pre-order-offer-has-concluded

Not exactly. The deal was so good that they cancelled it early.

February 17, 2012 | 06:43 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

Ah, i was waiting til payday to preorder (so I could work it into the budget and such), and they go and cancel it. Some preorder. Fuck them lol. Was /almost/ feeling positive about Origin heh.

February 17, 2012 | 10:41 PM - Posted by COMPUTER LOVER (not verified)

This was the only place that say's you get a free copy of BF3 i can't find it any where else mentioned.I played the demo great then tried to find the free game and even ordered it no free BF3.So i canceled my order to show them,i think the whole thing is jusy a con to get people to go to their web site.

February 19, 2012 | 03:31 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

Apparently EA decided the deal was too popular and pulled it :(

February 18, 2012 | 10:31 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

BF3 is not selling, so why not give it away for free hype and more live targets for the bush wookies. The reviews on the demo are in.. they say the game sucks, the people hyping it are the highly paid actors, and fan boys in my guild have stopped talking about it. Straaaange

February 18, 2012 | 10:31 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)