Lucid Virtu MVP 2.0 Coming Soon and Will Be Sold Directly to Consumers

Subject: General Tech, Graphics Cards, Processors | December 14, 2012 - 05:07 PM |
Tagged: virtu MVP, virtu, lucid, ces 2013, CES

In preparation for the upcoming CES 2013 show in January we have started having some pre-meeting discussions with various companies, one of which was Lucid.  While speaking with them we learned some interesting news about the upcoming v2.0 release of their Virtu MVP software including new features and a new availability option.

Lucid's Virtu MVP software is the technology that allows DIY PC builders and notebook vendors to easily accommodate utilization of both integrated and discrete graphics in a single system without the need to adjust settings or to move monitor cables around.  With Virtu MVP you can take advantage of the QuickSync technology of your Ivy Bridge processor but still utilize the performance of a discrete graphics card for gaming.  This can all be managed and handled on a single display with a single cable.

Other additions like Virtual Vsync and HyperFormance were added in MVP and aim to improve the gaming experience in the same way that Virtu enhances the overall user experience.  And while Matt Smith liked the results from the software in his recent testing with an Origin laptop, there were a couple things that bugged us: the interface and the inability to get the software on your own.

Next month Lucid will be launching the new version 2.0 of its software that should increase the responsiveness of the interface while also drastically improving the visuals and style.  Also included will be native Windows 8 support.

Perhaps the most interesting news is that Lucid will soon start offering the software directly to consumers as a download instead of requiring that you get it from your motherboard or system vendor.  This is great news for users that have purchased motherboards without Virtu software and those of you that might want to buy a really low cost board that would lack those features as well.  You will apparently be able to buy it in Q1 from www.lucidlogix.com and the price should be "under $30" which likely indicates a $29.99 starting offer.

What we don't know is how this will affect Lucid's motherboard partners - will they stop carrying the software as a bundle going forward or will they still offer it on select SKUs?  Lucid wouldn't divulge any of that yet but I assume we'll find out more at CES next month.

December 14, 2012 | 06:19 PM - Posted by atticus14

I hope they finally work this out, its interesting but I'm pretty skeptical. Despite its been out for awhile now, hardly anyone cares to mention it in gpu reviews. Maybe if they are confident in a stand alone product they finally had a tangible breakthrough.

December 14, 2012 | 06:39 PM - Posted by equinox2355

I noticed the article says Ivy Bridge, does that mean it won't work on Sandy Bridge based parts? I don't have any Ivy Bridge systems yet, and I am not planning on getting one for a while, I may even wait until Haswell.

December 14, 2012 | 08:04 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

No, it will still work on Sandy Bridge.

December 14, 2012 | 06:47 PM - Posted by Lorash (not verified)

I hope the new version will work better with the games I play. I really like the idea of not swapping cables.

December 15, 2012 | 05:57 AM - Posted by Tim (not verified)

I was kinda hoping this would let my Z68 with no HDMI out use QuickSync. I guess I'll just have to shell out for a new mobo.

Next gen Intel isn't planned for Q1 is it?

January 1, 2013 | 10:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It works fine, I own an Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 mobo.
it has no on board video out, but already comes bundled with the Lucid Virtu (Its the basic edition that has no gaming options or improvements but you can use Intel quick sync in programs with your monitor connected to the Discrete video card)
You can download the demo of this program from Lucid web site

December 15, 2012 | 06:41 PM - Posted by Tex

Wish VirtuMVP worked better with newer Nvidia drivers. A lot of popular games listed as "supported" won't run.

December 17, 2012 | 10:36 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

What do you mean they "won't run"?  I'd like to look into this.

December 16, 2012 | 08:59 PM - Posted by Sublym3 (not verified)

The UI still looks terrible

December 20, 2012 | 01:19 AM - Posted by observist (not verified)

The current MVP control panel UI is rediculously bad - in a tiny, non-resizable window, the list of applications is squished into 40% of the screen - about 2x3 inches - so the other 60% can be dedicated to an image of a stupid f**king juggling robot. It pisses me off everytime I use it. It looks like it was designed by a 10-year-old. Judging by the screenshots above, the 10-year-old is now 13 or 14 and working on the new UI. Utilities don't need hella-sick graphics, Lucid dudes, they just need to be clear, functional and intuitive. Look at the AMD CCC for an example.

December 17, 2012 | 08:19 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I wish Lucid VirtuMVP was a free upgrade, as I just got a new ASrock motherboard that came with the old version!

Why can't VirtuMVP work on AMD Crossfire video cards with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics together??????????????

December 17, 2012 | 10:37 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

I believe it can...or are you saying CrossFire is the issue?

January 8, 2013 | 02:18 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Lucid virtu will not work with Crossfire.

January 8, 2013 | 02:18 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Lucid virtu will not work with Crossfire.

December 18, 2012 | 10:58 AM - Posted by Vbs (not verified)

The latest R310 nVidia driver branch pretty much kills Virtual V-Sync in either i-mode or d-mode (tested on the latest MVP r25032). The last drivers that work with it are the 306.97 WHQL or 307.45 Quadros.

January 8, 2013 | 05:51 PM - Posted by Solaries (not verified)

Virtu MVP doesn't work at all with an fxaa injector, which are pretty popular these days. If you're a Skyrim player it's basically essential.

January 9, 2013 | 10:16 AM - Posted by ijence (not verified)

hey
Who tried to play 'counter strike global offensive' with NVIDIA + INTEL and ofc MVP ? because i have terrible shuttering issue. I tried all settings - mobo,nvidia,mvp and its always the same. Now it's only game i play so its very important for me.

my pc :
Gigabyte GTX 560 SOC
MSI Z77A-GD65
intel i5 3570k
WINDOWS 8 x64 <-- maybe this is a reason ?

Thx for any answer or ideas & sorry for my bad english

January 24, 2013 | 05:03 AM - Posted by Alexander (not verified)

glad to hear about such an update. recently bougth a z77 mobo with TB output, hoping to use gtx 660 on apple's thunderbolt display with the help of MVP, but it doesn't work at all in i-mode. i made this purchase just because of this marketed mvp feature, and i really hope i didn't threw my money out and the upcoming update will let me use my display with discrete graphics.

February 9, 2013 | 06:05 PM - Posted by ExtremeFromFrieslân (not verified)

Hi,

I'm testing it now!

Its quite stable, i must say its much better than version 1.0.

My Specs:

* Asrock Z77 Extreme6
* i7 3770K @ 4,4 GHz
* 8GB Gskill @ 2,133 Ghz (Intel XMP Memory)
* Intel HD 4000 @ 1,4 GHz
* Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (HD 6970 Bios Mod)
* Nvidia GTX 295 (Hybrid Physx Mod)
* OCZ 700 Watt PSU

Testing with:

* Clean Win 7 Pro SP1 x64
* Battlefield 3 @ 1920x1080 Maxed out. (avg. @ 100 FPS)
* HyperFormance, Virtual VSync, GPU Virtualization ON.

PS: I got 4 Overclocked GPUs and a overclocked i7 on a 700 Watt PSU. SO FUCK U IF U GOT A 1000+ WATT PSU THAT YOU AIN'T USING FOR 70%! IF U DO HAVE ONE, U TROLLING YOUR MONEY ON A PSU.

February 10, 2013 | 01:05 PM - Posted by Credibleone (not verified)

Hi there, ty for the reply google brought me here, I am curious, did your license carry over to this new one as mine did not.

Went to d/l it and saw this new version which actually mentions hyper for wow now as well.

February 10, 2013 | 03:53 PM - Posted by Shotlivermutton (not verified)

The license carries over just fine. It wasn't mentioned in this article but you can download the new version right now from their site: http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-mvp2.shtml

February 10, 2013 | 04:21 PM - Posted by Shotlivermutton (not verified)

I take it back, the license does not appear to carry over, I'm on a 30 day trial. It just didn't nag me about it.

Also it appears to work great with the Crysis 3 beta

February 23, 2013 | 02:40 PM - Posted by sam (not verified)

i have hp envy notebook with 3rd gen core i5 ivy bridge and an amd ati 7670 gpu, on intel hm77 chipset with intel hd 4000 integrated graphics.. Does the lucid mvp work on my note book....???

February 23, 2013 | 02:47 PM - Posted by sam (not verified)

check this for ful specs of my notebook...
plz help