Ivy Bridge-E after Haswell: I think I've gone cross-eyed

Subject: General Tech, Processors | August 6, 2012 - 02:12 AM |
Tagged: Ivy Bridge-E, Intel

According to VR-Zone, an Intel roadmap has surfaced which outlines the upper end of the company’s CPU product line through the end of 3rd Quarter 2013. The most interesting albeit also most confusing entry is the launch of Ivy Bridge-E processors in the quarter after the Haswell mainstream parts.

So apparently the lack of high-performance CPU competition unhooked Intel’s tick-tock-clock.

The latest Intel CPU product roadmap outlines the company’s expected product schedule through to the end of Q3 2013. The roadmap from last quarter revealed that Intel’s next architecture, Haswell, would be released in the second quarter of 2013 with only Sandy Bridge-E SKUs to satisfy the enthusiasts who want the fastest processors and the most available RAM slots. It was unclear what would eventually replace SBE as the enthusiast part and what Intel expects for their future release cycles.

I can Haswell-E’zburger?

(Photo Credit: VR-Zone)

Latest rumors continue to assert that Sandy Bridge-E X79 chipset-based motherboards will be able to support Ivy Bridge-E with a BIOS update.

The downside: personally, not a big fan of upgrading CPUs frequently.

In the past I have never kept a motherboard and replaced a CPU. While I have gone through the annoyance of applying thermal paste – and guessing where Arctic Cooling stains will appear over the next 2 weeks – I tend to even just use the default thermal tape which comes with the stock coolers. I am not just cheap or lazy either; I simply tend to not feel a jump in performance unless I allow three to five years between CPU product cycles to pass by.

But that obviously does not reflect all enthusiasts.

But how far behind on the enthusiast architectures will Intel allow themselves to get? Certainly someone with my taste in CPU upgrades should not wait 8-10 years to upgrade our processors if this doubling of time-between-releases continues?

What do you think is the future of Intel’s release cycle? Is this a one-time blip trying to make Ivy Bridge scale up or do you expect that Intel will start releasing progressively more infrequently on the upper end?

Source: VR-Zone
August 6, 2012 | 03:35 AM - Posted by Wolvenmoon (not verified)

I'm going to laugh if AMD pulls something out of their sleeve and were just waiting for Intel to slow down and get complacent.

August 7, 2012 | 09:36 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This is exactly what I was thinking! You never know it could happen.

August 30, 2012 | 08:18 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yeah it's also possible that my wiener will grow 6 inches over night and I'll sprout wings and learn to fly. The possibility of both of those things happening to one person is greater than AMD producing something that is relevant.

September 14, 2012 | 05:08 AM - Posted by Couldn't resist ;-) (not verified)

It'll be an amazing experience for you, flying through the air with a 7-inch wiener. ;oP

September 17, 2012 | 02:02 AM - Posted by Not real email sorry (not verified)

Well played and well delivered. That person is just arrogant. He deserved that. Haha!

August 6, 2012 | 06:47 AM - Posted by Jimbo (not verified)

Why is it always a "lack of competition" when intel doesn't deliver?

Ivy Bridge was months late and that was put down to a "lack of competition". It couldn't possibly be due to bad yields could it?

The only competition Ivy Bridge lacks is the competition against it's predecessor, which is still a better enthusiast chip.

August 7, 2012 | 02:37 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud

And in this hypothetical situation -- if you don't feel the urgency to shove a launch through poor yields... what do you lack?

August 6, 2012 | 09:20 AM - Posted by Mark (not verified)

Intel does what it wants cause nobody is around to stop em.

August 7, 2012 | 05:41 PM - Posted by Thedarklord

I currently use a X79 + i7-3930K as my primary machine, and I generally upgrade my primary machine's platform (cpu/mobo) about every other CPU cycle (P4 -> 64FX -> Core2 Quad -> i73930K).

So this is good for me at least, even though I will prob get a IvyBridge-E when its released, and "move parts downhill".

But what worries me about this is that it shows the current lack of competition in the desktop X86 CPU side of things...

September 15, 2012 | 10:06 PM - Posted by Matt (not verified)

Man... I'm still on P4.

April 7, 2013 | 02:38 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Well, grab an i7920, that's a good place to start. It's old, yes, but not obsolete, not by a longshot. It's affordable and you'll be able to do what the folks who own even an i7 3970x can do (except encode and render faster and that's about it.)

We put these two chips to the test.. What better way with Physx. Using an ATI Card, which does not process Physx, it allowed the CPUs to go to work. They yeilded similar results, only marginal differences (of course the 3970x won, but negligible) So you see, you could play Crysis3 at full speed with an i7920 (permitting you have a nice video card).

Rumor has it, Intel is experimenting with GPU Technolog to replace "traditional CPUs" as we know it. It's a bout damn time.

August 16, 2012 | 09:08 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"The most interesting albeit also most confusing entry is the launch of Ivy Bridge-E processors in the quarter after the Haswell mainstream parts"

Haswell is for Consumers... while Ivy Bridge-E Will be offering high end workstation solutions that normal users and/or gamers won't need.

I don't see anything confusing about this.

Also glad to see Ivy Bridge-E coming later because Sandy Bridge-E is still fairly new. I just hope Ivy Bridge-E WILL in fact run on all x79 boards.

April 2, 2013 | 11:47 AM - Posted by Some_Tom (not verified)

If Intel doesn't up the core count on the CPUs, i think i'll just drop the consumer parts and save the extra cash for a Xeon E5-2450.
Motherboard selections would narrow down quite a lot thought...