It's not PC sales that are declining, it is workstation sales
Subject: General Tech | April 19, 2013 - 02:06 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: sales, workstation
The Tech Report put up an editorial which discusses the recent reports on the shrinkage of PC sales and point out that it is not necessarily Personal Computer sales which are slowing but only the workstation sales. You may feel that a PC is a desktop and only a desktop but the market has changed to the point where a watch can qualify as a personal computer and your smartphone definitely does. The term post-PC may be applicable but at the same time limiting your definition of a PC to a desktop and possibly laptops is not as accurate as it once was. The term workstation is accurate for those of us who actually do work which requires the power of a multicore system with dedicated daughterboards, but the vast majority of users do not need the power of a full system. Enthusiasts and professionals will always need the power of a full workstation but perhaps it is time to realize we may be in the minority, which is why sales of traditional workstations have declined. Ask makers of ARM devices if their sales are declining; the main stream market is shifting to devices that many of us would not consider a "real PC".
"PC shipments suffered their greatest decline ever last quarter, in spite of Windows 8 and all those tablet-notebook hybrids. Some say there's no hope, but I disagree. Because the PC is booming—just not the PC we know."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Google smashes analyst expectations with 31 percent revenue climb @ The Inquirer
- Microsoft CFO quits as quarterly results fail to sparkle @ The Register
- AMD posts mediocre numbers, cites 'difficult market environment' @ The Register
- Cupertino funk, part II: No joy in iVille @ The Tech Report
- Java 8 Delayed To Fix Security @ Slashdot
- Rosewill Ultra-Slim HDMI RedMere Cable Review @ Legit Reviews
- Intel Chipset Codenames Cross-Reference Table @ Hardware Secrets
- Bad Microsoft patch trapped you in a boot loop? Here's your fix @ The Register
- Win Tt eSPORTS Gaming Gear @ eTeknix
Get notified when we go live!