How much RAGE is in the new Wolfenstein

Subject: General Tech | May 21, 2014 - 05:27 PM |
Tagged: wolfenstein, id tech 5, gaming

Wolfenstein: The New Order uses the much maligned id Tech 5 engine made infamous by RAGE, which leads many to ask if it will have the same issues.  The negative similarities are certainly there, a 10GB Day 1 patch, serious issues with one vendor's cards and once you start playing the game the 'texture pop' that was evident in RAGE return to either annoy or be ignored depending on your preference and a 60fps cap.  With that out of the way you can look at the specs you need to play this game, the most noticeable of which is that you have to have a 64-bit OS, 32-bit versions need not apply.  The minimum hardware is also rather restrictive, you need a Core-i7 or equivalent top end AMD processor, lesser silicon need not apply, as well as a GeForce 460 or ATI Radeon HD 6850, and 50GB free space.

The good news is that there are graphical settings this time which you can tweak, overriding the engine's 60 fps fetish but never peaking above that ceiling.  [H]ard|OCP tested a XFX Radeon R9 290X Double Dissipation and a GTX 780 Ti at 2560 x 1600 without an issue though when testing the 280X and GTX 770 at the same resolution they noticed that Ultra settings were removed from the options on the NVIDIA product while the 280X had no issues with Ultra at all.  Read the full story for all the gritty details and the rather disappointing conclusion.

For real fun head to the Fragging Frogs servers for some gaming, find the schedule on our Gaming Forum and see if you have what it takes to knife O-Dog or Lenny!  It might be a good idea to introduce yourself first though!

"Wolfenstein: The New Order is out on PC. It utilizes the id Tech 5 game engine and sports fast paced first-person shooter gameplay. We look at some video card performance, make some comparisons, and look at image quality as well. Can this game overcome the stigma associated with RAGE since its the same engine?"

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Gaming

Source: [H]ard|OCP
May 21, 2014 | 06:05 PM - Posted by collie (not verified)

This is bumming me out. I wanna play! The second Rig I ever built was a 386...... Dx 33 I think....... it was a long time ago, to replace my first build, a 286, JUST so I could play wolfenstein. Now, for the first time in years, my processor {a-10 6700) is just NOT FAST ENOUGH to handle this game, even at lowest settings, even with my discreet r7-265x. wasted over 50$ for a game I cant play. I am one sad panda.

May 22, 2014 | 06:13 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

So, you couldn't be bothered to take 10 seconds to look at the minimum specs before you spent your "over $50"?

As the old saying goes: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

May 23, 2014 | 02:06 AM - Posted by collie (not verified)

Pre order. As release got close, specs came out, seemed like ultra spek's, not minimum

May 23, 2014 | 02:16 AM - Posted by collie (not verified)

And also, go fuck yourself!

May 21, 2014 | 07:38 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Wow. Disappointing. WTF did they learn from that release? Nothing apparently.

May 21, 2014 | 09:07 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This is why i try before buy this game is such shit.
They even stated this dont even support SLI or crossfire.

"Does the game support SLI or Crossfire dual GPUs?

No. For best performance, it is recommended that you disable these modes. If you to try running in either mode at your own risk and make sure you have installed the latest drivers. "

May 22, 2014 | 01:58 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I blame Bethesda, id Software for selling out, and Carmack doing some crazy Carmack things with the id Tech 5 engine. id Software used to be a big time engine that has now become a joke. Selling out to Bethesda was the beginning, RAGE turned out to be a dude mostly due to the engine and stupid things like hardware issues, and id Software can't get its head out of its ass to save its life.

I can't see that great company being great anymore and lasting into the next decade. Recent rumors about Doom 4 and the development nightmare over there is proving it. It's really sad.

I wonder how much of WTNO has to do with just that shitty id Tech engine broke for 3 years vs Bethesda vs MachineGames being rookies. Bethesda hasn't done anything great outside of its own little world and we all know id Tech 5 should just be thrown away. Dissolve id Software and let it die a clean death.

May 22, 2014 | 08:09 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm not sure id has been "big time" since its Quake III days. It seems like fans have done nothing but complain about id since Doom 3 came out. They have ("had" now that Carmack left) credibility only due to their past successes of forging the primitive PC gaming era.

May 22, 2014 | 08:47 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm playing on a Sandybridge Core i5, Nvidia GTX 660ti with 16 GB RAM and the game plays nicely. I can attest that the problems that plagued Rage are much common. With that said I enjoyed Rage and I am enjoying Wolfenstine.

After playing Dishonored, based on unreal, I prefer Id tech 5. I think the glitches are more then made up for by the feel of the weapons and the smoothness.

May 22, 2014 | 08:56 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Unreal 3 you can unlock framerate from config and it supports crossfire an SLI

ID tech 5 supports non of the above
The engine is pure garbage

May 22, 2014 | 08:48 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Edit to above post. That was suppose to be "much less common" on line two.

May 26, 2014 | 06:27 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm lost, i learned both that the game won't work on AMD and that it works perfectly on both a 290X and 280X in the same news.