Grab a sprite and take a graphical trip down memory lane

Subject: General Tech | March 27, 2013 - 10:21 AM |
Tagged: gpu, history, get off my lawn

TechSpot has jsut published an article looking at the history of the GPU over the past decades, from the first NTSC capable cards, through the golden 3DFX years straight through to the modern GPGPU.  There have been a lot of standards over the years such as MDA, CGA and EGA as well as different interfaces like ISA, the graphic card specific AGP to our current PCIe standard.  The first article in this four part series takes us from 1976 through to 1995 and the birth of the Voodoo series of accelerators.  Read on to bring back memories or perhaps to encounter some of this history for the first time.

"The evolution of the modern graphics processor begins with the introduction of the first 3D add-in cards in 1995, followed by the widespread adoption of the 32-bit operating systems and the affordable personal computer. While 3D graphics turned a fairly dull PC industry into a light and magic show, they owe their existence to generations of innovative endeavour. Over the next few weeks we'll be taking an extensive look at the history of the GPU, going from the early days of 3D consumer graphics, to the 3Dfx Voodoo game-changer, the industry's consolidation at the turn of the century, and today's modern GPGPU."

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Tech Talk

Source: TechSpot
March 27, 2013 | 06:06 PM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

I bought a 3DFX 5500 and a Monster Diamond 2 last year to run this kind of old shit at it's best, have yet to setup that machine.

March 29, 2013 | 10:00 AM - Posted by Justin Anderson (not verified)

why comment about that, just makes you sound lazy...

March 29, 2013 | 12:47 PM - Posted by John Doe (not verified)

Since you're a little kid that can't understand these things, I'll just say, when you have A LOT of PC's and things to do in RL and not just around the web, you don't actually have as much time.

That's why I still haven't built up that machine yet.

Silly.

March 29, 2013 | 03:47 PM - Posted by Justin Anderson (not verified)

Actually I did built a machine about a year ago to do what you are intending to do. With all new parts from around the year 2000 Using a Athlon thunderbird slot A @ 800mhz, on a new MSI slot Mobo. With a Geforce 2 ultra, 1gb of RAM, two 80gb hdds in raid 0, new PSU and case. Pretty awesome for what it is. If you have a passion for something you find the time, I too have a real life and responsibilities.

March 28, 2013 | 07:04 AM - Posted by mjaybird (not verified)

I remember how big this was when Quake came out saying it is the future of gaming. I had to get a 3Dfx to see for myself

March 28, 2013 | 12:06 PM - Posted by MarkT (not verified)

My first card was a Diamond Permedia 2 card on a p2 333, was funny because when counterstrike first came out that card would not show textures properly and u could see thru walls....good times...good times....

March 28, 2013 | 12:42 PM - Posted by duttyfoot (not verified)

Oh the good old days of quake 2 and my 3dfx 12mb card. seeing a rocket from my rocket launcher fly with a smoke trail was exciting.

March 31, 2013 | 12:16 PM - Posted by BiggieShady

I remember wanting this card badly, waited long enough for nVidia TNT to kill it, got TNT2 at the end - it all happened so fast ...