Getting to know services.msc
Subject: General Tech | June 22, 2006 - 09:08 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Windows XP has a lot of services the run by default, many with names you may not recognize, or understand what they do. While disabling svchost is not the best of ideas, maybe you don't need UPnP running in the background. Drop by PC Stats, they've just published a guide on understanding and tweaking the services WinXP runs.
"In Windows XP, background processes are called Services and they will be the topic of this PCSTATS
Beginner's Guides. We're going to look at what the WinXP Services are, why they're necessary, which
ones should be running on your system and which ones you can do without. The reason for occasional
slow performance with WindowsXP is because of what's going on in the background."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- An InDesign user's
review of QuarkXPress 7 @ Ars Technica
- China's Linux Adoption Threat to Microsoft? @ OSWeekly.com
- Nokia P990 Phone Expected in Mid-July @ CoolTechZone.com
- One Laptop Per Child @ PC
Upgrade guide - Part 1 @ GDhardware.com
- Lessons from a Technician's
Tendencies @ PC Mechanic
- Computex 2006 - ECS, HIS,
Corsair & Thermaltake @ The TechZone
- CommunicAsia 2006 - Part 1 @ Hardware Zone
- CommunicAsia 2006 - Part 2 @ Hardware Zone
Get notified when we go live!