Gaming Evolves, a new and improved Raptr App is here

Subject: General Tech | June 20, 2014 - 03:01 PM |
Tagged: raptr, gaming evolved, Game DVR, amd

AMD's Gaming Evolved app powered by Raptr has just undergone some changes that focus on those who like to show off their gaming skills and tricks with others.  Updates to their H.264 support now allow you to stream your gaming to Twich with no impact on your performance.  They've also added Game DVR which automatically records the past 10 minutes of your game play, guaranteeing you can save your best moments even if you forgot to start the recording manually.

The interface has also undergone an overhaul to make it even easier to use the auto-configuration features in the Gaming Evolved app to optimize your games graphical settings to ensure you get the best looking game your AMD hardware can give you without compromising your performance.  Currently there is a list of 204 supported games and the list is growing constantly.  They still make it easy to install and play Free To Play games such as World of Tanks and there is currently a sale on in the Rewards section where you can spend your accumulated RPs on top games.  Since you get 500 points simply for signing up and they stack up while you play games it is a great way to get your hands on new games without spending a dime!

Source: Raptr
June 20, 2014 | 04:05 PM - Posted by Jesse (not verified)

I love that they have the exact same green checkmark as GeForce Experience...

June 20, 2014 | 05:20 PM - Posted by Kwaz

Should have patented it... smh

June 21, 2014 | 05:42 AM - Posted by Silver Sparrow

Rather generic symbol don't you think?!

June 20, 2014 | 05:51 PM - Posted by nathanddrews

For a split second I thought GFE changed its color scheme. I've got 226 games in my Steam Library, but GFE only offers optimizations for 32 of them. Hmm...

June 20, 2014 | 08:20 PM - Posted by lone0001

I've never been a fan of letting a game "auto-detect" the settings I 'should' use as they always either set the settings too high or too low; so I wouldn't let this "optimize" my games for me. I tried one game and it decided that PhysX should be enabled on an already CPU heavy game (Natural Selection 2), yeah no thanks.

It's not a bad piece of a software though, I like the game tracking and the rewards system is nice but apart from that I haven't used many of Raptr's features too much (I'm already heavily invested in Steam and its community features). I do intend to see how the game recording (and DVR) do compared to my current solution though.

June 21, 2014 | 04:03 AM - Posted by capawesome9870

I've tried it on the current game i am working on (Divinity 2: Developers Cut, from the humble bundle a few weeks ago). the Game DVR does introduce a little bit of game freezing (about 1 second) every now and then, especially when i do a fast turn, which changes what is being recorded very fast.

i would attribute the second long freezing (for now) to my current 5400RPM 2.5" HDD because it is very slow, which i am currently using until a get a SSD later this year.

my Rig: FX8350, 8GB @1333, HD7870 and the very slow 5400RPM drive.
Recording at the Medium Preset (30Mb/s, 30FPS, 720p) with a 60 second "Replay Length."

June 21, 2014 | 12:42 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

SSDs for recording 720p seems a bit overkill, a decent desktop 7200rpm HDD should be fast enough.

June 25, 2014 | 07:09 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I also have 5400rpm drive and i know what you mean.

June 21, 2014 | 08:29 AM - Posted by Martin Trautvetter

I wish there were more colour schemes to choose from, dark grey on darker grey isn't the most appealing choice IMHO.

June 21, 2014 | 11:00 AM - Posted by H1tman_Actua1

Should be called, "gaming evolved like apes" the way monkeys like to play

June 21, 2014 | 12:20 PM - Posted by Daniel Nielsen (not verified)

Wow that was lame

June 22, 2014 | 03:26 AM - Posted by Pathos_Perks (not verified)

So @AMDGaming/Pcper,

How much of this is thanks to @RadeonPro (John Mautari)? I think he deserves some love.

Now that this is done, could @Raptr could please loan him out to @CatalystMaker for realsies?

I think those guys could be beautiful friends beyond this piece of software...and I'm pretty sure he already has proven that.

June 22, 2014 | 10:41 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have an AMD "fusion machine", although I'm planning on upgrading to a Nvidia / Intel machine soon. I don't use the service though, because it fails to configure itself properly on boot. When I initially installed it, it wanted to optimize my games, then have me make an account and so on, this is normal, so I did. Then, when I booted again, it requested to optimize my games and have me login, I figured it was just some error, so I had it optimize my games again, and I logged in. It wasn't just a one-time error. It requests the same thing every time I boot into my OS. Maybe there's some setting I'm missing, but I doubt it.

June 23, 2014 | 05:02 AM - Posted by Himuton (not verified)

Wow, that evens the score if Gaming Evolved App's DVR function works as good as Shadowplay!

I thought AMD cards lack the H.264 encoder. My bad.

June 23, 2014 | 06:42 AM - Posted by renz (not verified)

i thought they have it with GCN but so far i don't know what AMD really did with the hardware. also i thought it was supposed to be AMD (and nvidia as well with their NVENC) answers to intel Quick Sync. but for nvidia part they come up something different than i expected with it (GRID)

June 23, 2014 | 03:13 PM - Posted by Patrick3D (not verified)

I tried it once with Tomb Raider, it set everything far lower than I had done on my own. Didn't seem to be useful so I uninstalled it, or at least thought I did. Took a thorough search of the registry to rip it out of the system fully. Nothing but Spyware as far as I'm concerned.

June 24, 2014 | 08:03 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have been using the VCE for testing codecs, seems they, AND this.. have the bug where the dedicated GPU usage drops to variables of 20-80% while gaming + recording with the VCE.

June 25, 2014 | 10:05 PM - Posted by MrAwesome421

I like the Reward Points to spend on games and even GPUs. But it looks like you get the most points from allowing it to optimize your games for you. Which I am not going to allow it to do. For a number of reasons.

But yeah, it's a pretty cool app for sure. Just needs some tweaking on the features and the RP's.