GPU sales look a little down in the month
Subject: General Tech | February 27, 2012 - 09:24 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: jon peddie, gpu, market share
The graphics market seems to be changing, a feeling backed up by Jon Peddie's latest report on the GPU market. IGPs are dying, low end discrete is dying, and the quickest selling GPUs are integrated onto the CPU. All this means that the sales of discreet GPUs are down, with a 10.4% drop from the previous quarter as customers opt out of a GPU and simply use the one found on their CPU. AMD is slowly gaining in this market thanks to the fact that Llano is now available for those who would purchase it. One oddity that SemiAccurate notes is that NVIDIA actually still claims a share of the IGP market thanks to some sales in China.
"Word has just come in from everyone’s favorite market research group, Jon Peddie Research, that Q4 2011 was not a particularly inspiring quarter for graphics shipments. Q4 was seasonally down compared to Q3, in step with the prior years, and up slightly compared to 2010. The seasonal drop this year was particularly heavy coming in at 10.4 percent, the largest Q3 to Q4 drop since 2008."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Gigabit Internet for $70: the unlikely success of California's Sonic.net @ Ars Technica
- DIY quadcopter for around $200 @ Hack a Day
- Intel Joins LibreOffice @ Slashdot
- Make any photo 3D using The Gimp @ Hack a Day
- NewerTech Power2U USB Wall Power Outlet Review @ Legit Reviews
- LSI Releases Code To Manufacturers - New Increased Capacity 'SandForce Driven' SSDs Hit The Streets @ SSD Review
- Examining The SSD Industry - Researching The Controller or Processor With Wayne Eisenberg @ SSD Review
- How Far Have AMD & Intel Integrated Graphics Come Since 2006? @ Legit Reviews
- Flood-hit Thai disk fabs to pour out 140m drives @ The Register
- Weekly Giveaway #23: AMD and Gigabyte 6850 Graphics Card Giveaway Part #1 @ eTeknix
- Design, Spec and Win Your Ultimate PC. ENDS 28th Feb 2012 @ HardwareHeaven
Get notified when we go live!