Free as in UT!
Subject: General Tech | May 8, 2014 - 03:04 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: gaming, unreal engine 4, Unreal Tournament, kick ass, epic games
The only way Epic could have excited gamers more than the announcement that Unreal Tournament is coming back is to announce that it is utterly free with no DLC or pay-to-win ... which is exactly what they did! It will be built on Unreal Engine 4, the one you can license at $19 a month and will be designed from the ground up to be moddable and eventually there will be a marketplace where modders can trade, sell or give away their work. Polygon wasn't given any hint of a release date but this news is so exciting it almost makes you forget UT3 ever existed!
Of course you don't have to wait to join in on some classic UT2K4 action, just head to the Gaming Forum and see when the Fragging Frogs will be playing next.
"Developer Epic Games revealed today that the multiplayer shooter's next incarnation — in development in Unreal Engine 4 for Linux, Mac and Windows PC and called simply Unreal Tournament — will be free, moddable and collaboratively developed with fans."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Sci-Fi Contest Winners @ Hack a Day
- Microsoft is developing a smartwatch to rival Samsung, Sony and Apple @ The Inquirer
- Whoops! Nvidia lets slip Q1 earnings early – and they're solid @ The Register
- HP's virtual cloud-based Z Workstation packs Nvidia Grid K2 graphics @ The Inquirer
- FCC MUST protect net neutrality to preserve AMERICA, say Google et al @ The Register